Weird issue with wireless network...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pittsax, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Hoping someone can help me with this. I've been having a strange connectivity problem with my wireless network at work (home works fine). I can connect to the network with full signal in the menu bar, but when I open Safari, it says I'm not connected. If I launch the network utility (from within Safari), the first two lights are green, the third yellow, and the last ones red. Now comes the weird part...if I simply click through the choices in the diagnostic for the proper network, everything suddenly turns green and works fine. This isn't simply a matter of not waiting long enough to connect, because the network never works until I step through the diagnostic procedure. It also isn't a general airport issue, since I can connect at home just fine.

I think this problem may have started when I upgraded to 10.5.4, but I'm not 100% certain of that. Any thoughts??

2. nerdbert macrumors regular

nerdbert

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what are those lights indicating? I have never used this tool...

My guess is that your computer doesn't get an IP from DHCP on connect, so it uses a self assigned IP. Later on for some reason it fetches a correct one from the DHCP server.

To check this go to System Preferences -> Network just after connecting. On the left it lists all network devices. If I'm right Airport has a yellow light and it says "self assigned IP".

3. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Sometimes have similar issue with MBP and wireless router. Sometimes clicking the Airport "scanning" icon solves the problem and selecting your network (one bar may be greyed out, then all three bars are black). Other times shutting down the MBP and restarting Safari solves the problem too.