Weird iTunes memory leak

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kuwisdelu, Nov 25, 2010.

1. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I just encountered a very weird memory leak in iTunes 10.1.

I added several TV show episodes, and selected them all to edit their info. After applying the changes, the "pre-processing" box came up, but took forever (a few minutes) and when it was done, I had barely any RAM left, and about 2 GB of inactive memory that wasn't there before.

I know inactive memory is supposed to behave like free memory when need be, but the system was incredibly sluggish. Quitting iTunes and all other applications didn't free anything. The only way to free up the memory was rebooting.

Naturally, I tried it again right after the reboot. This time I watched iStat menus as the inactive memory slowly grew, almost like a second hand on a clock. Same result and another reboot.

The episodes were converted from mkv to play on my Touch using MKVTools. Anyone encounter anything like this?

Here's a screenshot of Activity Monitor after the second time:

[​IMG]

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

I don't know about itunes but some programs when converting videos mess up the resulting file (itunes and ipods are very picky) and crash my ipod. Maybe some tag is corrupted. But nerveless it's an itunes bug.

3. kuwisdelu thread starter macrumors 65816

I was thinking the same thing. The videos do play fine on my iPod, though. And crashing would make a lot more sense than eating up so much RAM, so I'm rather confused by it.