Weird jailbreak slow down

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ukstuvy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ukstuvy macrumors newbie

Hi, 1st post here so here it goes

I've a 3gs 32gb iOS 4.1 jailbroken using greenpois0n. I've just come back from a short trip to Dublin. I've been running a Travel guide for Dublin along with some other programs inc some games.

When I first arrived I was automatically using 02, but then it moved and stayed on Vodafone IE. My usual carrier is Orange. I had switched off 3g data & roaming etc, but connected to the hotel wifi. Anyway, over the period over the few days my apps took longer and longer to work and start running. I thought the jb had affected my phone, slowing it down. I was going to restore it when I arrived home, but once I got back to the UK the phone started running at normal speed.

Now the travel guide I was using used the gps location service and didnt need to be connected to any data, but it was strange that it (may have) slowed everything else down. Maybe the continued use of the program caused a data overload in its cache?? I didnt want to delete it as I was still using it.

Anyway else had this experience??

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

most likely the app you were using for the GPS location was taking up a lot of the ram... if you close it completely you could see if the experience gets better w/out it...

3. ukstuvy thread starter macrumors newbie

^^^^^I understand what you're saying, but I shut down the app and rebooted the phone but the problem remained.

4. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

I've got a dumb question.

Was the slowdown mostly on location/navigation apps, or everything in general? I'm in the states and haven't used my phone abroad, but could it be that you simply were not able to use A-GPS (on those other carriers) and therefore saw a big slowdown in lock-on time for location based stuff? (your phone having to rely on slower "true GPS" exclusively)

5. ukstuvy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sean

it was everything that slowed down, even calender which isn't location-service dependent.

I guess it would seem logical that the GPS system was over running the rest of the system, but it still slowed down even after a reboot and the 1st app to be used was something like calender.

I'm also guessing that as most people aren't going to be travelling across borders this scenario may not arise that often.