Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Hey guys,
I have noticed something weird and I have eliminated everything and still don't have an answer. I installed the Gen2 Intel SSD and had to use carbon cloner because I can't boot from my OSX DVD all of a sudden. When I insert the DVD and restart the computer and attempt to boot from it, it will sit at the grey screen with the apple logo/spinning wheel and eventually give me a kernel panic. I have ran a long and short hardware test and nothing is wrong with my system. Also, if I use the terminal command to install OSX to another drive when I try to boot from that drive it does the exact same thing. This has to be something common. I didn't copy the kernel panic log but can I look it up to post it here? Any advice would be great. :)

Thanks,
ChadH

Anybody got any idea's on this? The install cd is OSX 10.5.6.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Try installing OSX to another drive then after running software updates, making a clone over to the SSD. It is possible that the older version of Mac OSX doesn't work with the drive.

I've also been seeing a large number of reported problems with Intel's gen 2 drives.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
No, oddly enough when I try to install through terminal to lets say a 500GB caviar black it will install then when I restart to boot from it then I recieve the same kernel panic.

DavidR91

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
Bourne, Lincs, UK
I don't think it'd be the disk itself- he should have got CRCs or other errors way before install completion if that were the case. (Although the whole inability to boot from it is a bit fishy - makes me wonder whether the CD/DVD drive is the culprit?)

Obviously the "sticking point" is the new SSD. But you can't really do much else until you narrow down the source - so I say swap the SSD for a spare (tape) HD, and try it again. If it works, you know it's related to the SSD, and if it doesn't, there's something else afoot.

The easier solution is to try OS X install on another machine, since you can remove the disk as a potential error source without screwing with hardware (but only if you're willing to install a potential busted copy of OS X on a spare machine)

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
No, I have put in the stock HD and it still does it. Even the newly installed superdrive is doing it. That's where I first noticed it. I would suspect the ram but I have ran two different hardware tests.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
This only leads us to think the DVD drive is the problem.

Can you try installing to the drive on another Mac?

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
I wish, my Mac Pro is the only Mac that I currently have. But, both super drives could be bad? The factory installed and newly installed or something to do with the connector?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Can you not go by the Apple store and see if they can install a fresh install of Mac OSX on a drive for you?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Get on the phone with AppleCare and see if they will send you a replacement OSX disk or something.
If you have any friends with Macs, see if they can't try to install Mac OSX to a drive for you.

Also, have you tried cloning your existing boot drive to make sure the SSD works perfectly? (although it won't fix the problem)

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Yes, I used Carbon Cloner and it worked fine. I'm on the SSD right now. Its my main boot drive.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I still think the problem may be a scratched or damaged disk.

Have you ever installed off this disk before, or are you still using the original installation your machine came with?

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Nope I'm still using the original. Never used to cd other than bootcamp drivers for Windows 7 which I have used several times. But never for an OSX install. First time I tried was a couple of days ago when the kernel panic started occurring. Will Apple ship me another OSX dvd?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Yes, I would assume so. You could argue that the disk was faulty to begin with and they should ship you a replacement. ;)

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
I will give them a call and then update this thread just in case anybody else ever has this problem. Thanks again for your advice and help. :)

djjclark

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
..........both super drives could be bad?........

Did you verify that both drives were working after the second one was installed? I would disconnect the newly installed superdrive and try to boot off of the original (after making sure all cables are solidly plugged in).

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Yep tried that too. Its really puzzling. It would have to the disc...or I hope. Would a bad disc cause a kernel panic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.