Weird Lagging

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by loganmillison, Jun 13, 2010.

1. loganmillison macrumors newbie

well so i just got this new macbook pro, and like it was working like a charm, running smoothly and everything.

2.66 GHz, 4GB ram, idk fast enough for what i would need.

but then i started changing icons, and then customizing my dock, (a little bit) and during the changing of icons, i would sometimes have to change the permission setting on it so it would let me, idk. but i tried repairing disk permissions, but its still lagging all of a sudden!

like pretty much, internet, and apps run fine. but when ever i drag a window arround, or scroll up or down in a window. it seems to be really laggy all of a sudden. and its really annoying and especially the scrolling, it like lags enough to completely interrupt whatever im doing

im not much a person to understand memory but i have that iStat Menu thing and it says that

Wired: 853MB
    Active: 844MB
    Inactive:229MB.... yatta yatta

but anyways, I do not recall seing it there. idk if that even means anything towards my problem or not. but like with no apps open, and i get those numbers. i check and it seems like my apps seem to be just fine, using rather minimal amounts to begin with.
    idk but if anyone knows about why this might be, id appreciate it.

also, idk if this helps but my page ins are at about 175,000
    idk if thats normal or not

2. loganmillison thread starter macrumors newbie

ok now wtf! lols
    i like quite literally never tried restarting my computer, kinda retarded on my part. the lag is gone and page ins are way down.
    so im guessing that was something to do with it. But still, if anyone knows why that happened, or have any suggestions as to what makes page ins go so high, that would be very helpful know

3. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

If it happens again you can check out Activity Monitor (Utilities>Activity Monitor) to find out what's taking up so much of your CPU/Memory. If you post the results here you'll get some advice on where to go from there, thats if it happens again of course. Like, totally.

4. loganmillison thread starter macrumors newbie