Weird late 2011 MacBook pro problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zyr123, Jan 30, 2015.

1. zyr123 macrumors 6502

My mac turns off on me multiple times a week then has to get very hot to turn back on. When it is not hot enough the screen is off but the computer is still on.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Radeongate hit your MBP if it's a 15" or 17" model.

3. damidget macrumors regular

^^ What he said, seeing as you have a 15".

4. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I am screwed with the rest of everyone. Ugh. I'm not buying a mac with a two year old graphics card. First world problems.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can always setup an external plug and play eGPU solution.

I did that with a Sonnet IIID + RM450 PSU + GTX 780 Ti + TB2 cable, hooked it up to my 15" rMBP and voila, 85-90% of the GTX780Ti's full power obtained.

6. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome send me the links for everything.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There's Google :)

8. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Be helpful. Yeah there is Google. But why do the research when someone did it successfully already. Links please.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You take the time to create a thread asking for help... and then you can't be bothered doing some internet searching yourself? Are you that lazy?

Yjchua steered you in the right direction. If you input external plug and play eGPU MBP into the Google search, you get numerous examples (including videos) showing how to do what you are looking for.

10. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

that used to happen to me for a while on my 2010 mac, then it just died and got a new one but with 15" retina.

11. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not being lazy. It's called playing it safe and making sure I don't waste a few 100$ to keep the old man alive till June.

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I understand wanting to be careful. The thing is, when you ask for help and then show that you don't want to do any legwork yourself, that doesn't endear forum members to want to keep helping, especially when the information is at your fingertips.

The time it took to reply to me, you could have been using Google just as I did for you, and I don't even have the problem.

Its one thing to do some searching and research, and report back with questions or concerns over what you read or saw. It is quite another to ask for help, have a fellow member tell you what he did and point you in the right direction, and then you all but say, I don't want to do any real work so you look up all the links and post them here.

Many of us come on the forum trying to help people. And many times, we take time to do some research on problems we aren't even having, so that we can try and be of help to others in need. And when the people we are trying to help act like they can't be bothered to do a little legwork on their own to at least get started, it is like giving someone a present at Christmas, and instead of being appreciative, the recipient hands the gift back and says, you open it. Let me know when you are done, because I am going to go watch t.v.

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Your attitude disgusts me. Like BasicGreatGuy said, I already gave you a starting point. The ball is now in your court, and I've no reason to continue further. since it's not my problem, but your problem.

14. zyr123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry.