Weird Latency issue in GarageBand

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by DoctaMario, Jan 28, 2009.

1. DoctaMario macrumors newbie

I have a fairly lo-fi recording setup consisting of a Behrenger mixer running into the audio input of my Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz Duo 2 Core notebook. I have 2GB of memory.

My issue is this: I was recording drums today and had 3 mics going into the mixer and the mixer slipstreaming those 3 mics down to one track in GarageBand. The drummer played everything totally in tempo (I kept an eye on the metronome the whole time!) but when we went to listen back to the take, it was completely out of sync with the rest of the track. Or, it would start out in sync and gradually get bad. Again, I watched the metronome while he was playing and he played everything into the DAW perfect.

I've never had this problem when I record at home, only when I go over to his place to record. We had a similar problem the last time we had a session, but I quit out of the program and it cleared itself up. I tried doing that today and it didn't work.

I also checked the load on the processor and it was never taxed above 56% of its capacity unless iStat isn't as accurate as I think it is.

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah, and uh, first post. ;)

2. WishingDigiJosh macrumors newbie

How many tracks were playing back when you were recording the drums?

3. DoctaMario thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe 9 or 10. But see, I don't really ever have problems that way. I've recorded the guy fine while having about 15-20 tracks playing at once and nothing's happened.

I started editing the tracks I got and noticed that some of the glitches only happened for a second and then threw everything else off, sometimes after big fills. I'm assuming that some of the bass drum vibrations caused the hard drive to hiccup or something because I had the computer set up on a stool in the same room.

Either way, I think I know what I have to do now.