Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinitbelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Hi,

I don't know what happened to cause the problem (might have been the clearing of User Cache) but for some reason my mac is acting weird. For example, when I have an application open and I click the red button, it used to just hide the application, now it just quits it completely.

Also, Microsoft Office 2004 opens fine and lets me view my documents but whenever I try to print or save as PDF, it just quits without any error messages.

Why might this be happening?

Thanks!

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
The printing problem I have no immediate suggestion about other than that the print subsystem is obviously crashing the apps, but about the red button:

Are you sure that's not happening in apps that are supposed to auto-quit when you click the red button? Some apps (System Preferences and Address book, for example) automatically quit themselves when the last open window is closed, so when you click the red button they go away.

If it's happening in, say, Word, and/or you're getting an "Unexpectedly quit" error afterward, that's different.

Thing to try: Create a new user and see if the same problem happens. If not, there's something messed up in your preferences. If so, your system is screwed up and unless you've installed something recently that's causing problems (any hacks or utilities?), the most likely solution is a reinstall. Maybe you can get away with running a combo update (hopefully 10.5.2 tomorrow or the day after), but a clean install might be required depending on how bad things are.

infinitbelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
The printing problem I have no immediate suggestion about other than that the print subsystem is obviously crashing the apps, but about the red button:

Are you sure that's not happening in apps that are supposed to auto-quit when you click the red button? Some apps (System Preferences and Address book, for example) automatically quit themselves when the last open window is closed, so when you click the red button they go away.

If it's happening in, say, Word, and/or you're getting an "Unexpectedly quit" error afterward, that's different.

Thing to try: Create a new user and see if the same problem happens. If not, there's something messed up in your preferences. If so, your system is screwed up and unless you've installed something recently that's causing problems (any hacks or utilities?), the most likely solution is a reinstall. Maybe you can get away with running a combo update (hopefully 10.5.2 tomorrow or the day after), but a clean install might be required depending on how bad things are.

I tried creating a new profile and it was exhibiting the same behavior with the red button. The apps close that are not supposed to (Safari, Mail, iChat, iCal). Some apps like iTunes behave fine. The only utility I installed yesterday was Ice Clean but I uninstalled that already. I also installed adobe photoshop, could that be causing it?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.