Weird line below screen border rubber

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shadow82x, Feb 7, 2014.

1. shadow82x, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

shadow82x macrumors 6502

Not too sure what this is but there is a grey line under the rubber right near the rubber. It's not a big deal at all, don't think I'd go forth with a return here. (I've done a lot the last few weeks for various issues and this macbook is actually great..)

Should I be concerned at all? I felt like I've seen this on other macbooks in the past but didn't really register it until now.

Attached Files:

2. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

Upon a closer look it looks like that might be the aluminum from the case showing. Perhaps from the screen rubber not being lined precise?

3. toneLA2 macrumors member

I've had a unit that was replaced for yellow screen showing the same defect. It's just the rubberized seal that keeps the screen from touching the bottom case when the lid is closed. It seems the adjustment is sometimes a bit off on some units - that's why it's not perfectly straight and shows the aluminum.

Cosmetic issue. Won't affect the machine performance though - as long as you don't feel like the screen touches the keyboard when you close the lid, you shouldn't worry about it.

4. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't believe it is, although I'm not positive. Is this something apple would fix after my return period? (But under apple care?) Seems like an easy fix, but for all I know it may require a screen replacement lol

5. toneLA2 macrumors member

Probably not. Like anything cosmetic they are pretty hard to convince. Can you take a more focused picture with the screen off? Does it look like the rubber isn't fitted properly and going above the screen edge? Can you push that lip in with your nail to try fitting it between the aluminum and glass?

6. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

I only have an iphone with my, so I can't capture any amazing photos. I tried though, this is probably the best I can get:

unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg

This device is a few days old and pretty much perfect minus that cosmetic issue. However if it worsens or if it will continue bothering me I don't know what to do. :/ I have another week or so on the return policy.

I can't seem to correct it by using my fingernail, however it does seem like the glue might be a bit weaker there as it makes a slight noise.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If it continues to bother you, take in to a "genius", just to see what they may think. If it's a simple fix, then you're done. Maybe a tech can just gently tuck that seal back into place (they won't tell you what can be done unless they see it)
    No real reason to "convince" anybody, although I may offer that that seems a minor issue to fix, if the display is a good one despite that "seal" issue.

8. toneLA2 macrumors member

I see exactly what it is. The seal is popping up a bit. Try pushing it gently with your nail or a straight edge from a credit card. It will get into place in a second.

9. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

So you think its possible to replace the rubber without the screen itself? I am pretty satisfied with the screen. No muras/yellowtint/and the colors pop. (Samsung panel.) There is also no awkward creaking on the bottom case which I encountered in my last device.

10. toneLA2 macrumors member

No. The whole assembly comes together. They can't replace one without changing the whole display - which I repeat might need a bit of convincing. Also, since you're lucky with no yellow/mura/light bleed/ghosting I'd reconsider having them swapping the display. You know what you'll lose but not what you get.

11. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

Well since I'm still within the return policy, do I really need to do any convincing at all? o.0 its just annoying because it seems like that will get loser in time and cause more cosmetic issues. Of course it might not, but who knows.

12. toneLA2 macrumors member

Oh I didn't realize you were under the 14-day. Sure, no convincing there. I too would think it'd get loser. But again, if you have such a perfect screen...

13. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

Ugh. I'm really undecided. I wish apple was able to take notes or something..like I report the issue now, and if it get worse in time they'd be able to replace it because I initially mentioned it during my return period.

^ in an ideal world that'd be awesome

14. toneLA2 macrumors member

I reckon you could technically make that happen. I've been through multiple exchanges and escalated issues to a senior advisor (not the first person when you call apple care) and I was promised a full refund if I wasn't entirely satisfied past the 14-days. If I were you I'd give them a call and negotiate that - I'm pretty sure a senior advisor could take note of that under your machine's serial number. Especially if you explain you've been through exchanges to find a perfect screen.

15. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

You're correct actually. I'm talking to a senior advisor through their online support chat now. It seems they're putting notes onto my account saying if I needed a repair after a return period they'd let me if it was about the screen rubber. :) I showed the same pictures I posted here and she said it does look like a defect.

16. toneLA2 macrumors member

Good. Senior advisors are the way to go. I sent them pictures of my rainbow screen and they called me back with an engineer from the MacBook Pro Retina team on the phone to discuss the issue and give me options. They are very arranging. I no longer want to deal with their sometimes very arrogant sales/genius reps at the store.

17. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

It's true, the sales/genius reps in the store hardly know anything. I had to tell one how to reformat a harddrive. Like really? You work at apple and you don't know how to reformat a computer's harddrive?

Rainbow screen? I'm guessing you had an LG screen? I noticed the rainbow effect with all the replacement devices that had LG screens. My Samsung screen now doesn't show it.

I'm satisfied with this situation now though. I'm not worried about it getting worse because the issue documented. :) Adding onto the issue though, I must say the rubber area around that line feels really flimsey compared to the rest of the rubber. That's not too reassuring. If I have a repair I'm going to try to request another Samsung screen though.

18. toneLA2 macrumors member

The rainbow was so bad it was visible during the day on a dark background. When I finally pulled up a solid black picture in full screen mode, it looked like we were short of a unicorn and leprechaun. Yes, indeed LG.

Before that was a Samsung with a mura but it didn't exhibit anything rainbow-y.

I know good screens are out there but they acknowledged (today on the phone) that they encounter serious manufacturing issues with the retinas. The lamination process is extremely tricky. Most people don't realize or care. And let's be honest, the rMBP is very much mainstream at this point. Long gone the days of the pro machine bought by pros. Most people doing FB and email don't see anything wrong with a darker corner or a pinkish sidebar.

In the meantime, I'm glad you were able to have that documented, just in case. And if it's becoming too much of a worry, just return it and get another one. And do so until you find one that meets your expectations. Their return policy is here for that and should also be a good indication for them as to whether or not they are shipping defect free machines.

19. pommephone macrumors member

pommephone

Hate to say it, but that little defect would annoy the crap out of me- especially on a brand new machine that's otherwise perfect.

20. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

When I'm able to ill go to an apple store and see my options there. If I want a screen replacement, I think I'm going to want a Samsung screen again tbh. Just seems a lot more vibrant than the LG to me. (I don't even know if its possible to do that but I can ask! :)) Wish they had tools to just replace the rubber though. this is frustrating. It's also looking quite crooked if you look at the rubber, definite alignment issues.

21. shadow82x thread starter macrumors 6502

So as expected, it did get worse. >.> The entire gasket is mis-aligned under further inspection. Sadly im doing a mail in exchange. Ugh.

Here's an image if anyone is curious or runs into it in the future. It's a little hard to see because of the flash but is noticeable.

Attached Files: