Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
I have a 13" MacBook Pro (April 2010 Refresh, higher end model)

I just installed Mac OS X Lion via an upgrade and install from the MAS
After a period of inactivity, my MacBook Pro went to sleep as usual. Or I thought it did...

... the sleep indicator was not breathing. I know that sometimes takes a few minutes (for the computer to fully sleep), but this was over an hour and a half of inactivity. The trackpad and keyboard did not wake the computer. Tapping the power button woke up the computer as normal, and all activity resumed.

After a few hours of use, I can tell this how the computer always "goes to sleep" after a period of inactivity. However, when I do Apple --> Sleep, to goes to sleep the normal way, as it did in snow leopard.

What gives? Anyone else having this issue?

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
The sleep light indicator's 'breathing' pattern seems to have changed. It's lit for much longer, then fades dark and relights quite quickly.

Is there any documentation of this? Any change in sleep behaviour otherwise? Does this pattern indicate sleeping in a certain state?

Hm, via my iPad I see that it's intermittently sharing the iTunes library. I'll be able to look through the movies for a while, but then the 'shared' tab disappears. The MacBook appears to be in a looping wake/sleep cycle.

Last edited:

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
California
The sleep light indicator's 'breathing' pattern seems to have changed. It's lit for much longer, then fades dark and relights quite quickly.

Is there any documentation of this? Any change in sleep behaviour otherwise? Does this pattern indicate sleeping in a certain state?

Hm, via my iPad I see that it's intermittently sharing the iTunes library. I'll be able to look through the movies for a while, but then the 'shared' tab disappears. The MacBook appears to be in a looping wake/sleep cycle.

When I close the lid, or do Apple > Sleep, the computer goes to sleep as normal.

However, after the inactivity period passes, the computer DOES NOT GO TO SLEEP. Instead:

1.) The display is off, but the computer is still "awake"
2.) The sleep indicator is solid, no breathing, perpetually on.
3.) Keyboard and trackpad cannot wake the computer from this state. Only tapping the power button wakes it up as normal

This issue only showed it self after installing Lion form the App Store via the normal upgrade and install. Re-installing the OS didn't fix it :(

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I have this problem too. when closing the lid of my mbp 09 it doesn't sleep.. the light indicator stays on and doesn't blink and when i open the lid up again the screen flashes on for a second then goes black... the only way to get it back on again is by pressing the light adjustment buttons...

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
On mine (Early 2008 MBP), it seems to go to this zombie mode if I go to :apple: > Sleep or Power Button > Sleep, but if I close the lid, it sleeps and everything shuts off...I may reset the SMC and see if that helps...

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Update: Just reset my SMC and it seems that the issue has gone away...sleeping any way other than closing the lid takes a few seconds longer, but it works...

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Germany
I have a similar problem on my aluminum unibody MacBook. My unit doesn't go to sleep when I close the lid, but this happens only when it's connected to power.
While it's running on battery, sleep mode works quite normal…

pwatson80

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
UK
Experiencing weird sleep patterns too...

Close the lid and 50% of the time, my 2008 MBP Aluminium will sleep.

The other 50% it's fully awake!

I open the lid to find the screen still on, then after a few seconds the backlight goes off!

To get the backlight back on I have to press F1 or F2.

Might give the SMC reset a try, though I personally think its Lion related.

Was perfectly fine in Snow Leopard, didn't turn my Mac off for months! Now I turn it off every night to make sure my screen doesn't burn out, or worse, melt!

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
I have this problem too. when closing the lid of my mbp 09 it doesn't sleep.. the light indicator stays on and doesn't blink and when i open the lid up again the screen flashes on for a second then goes black... the only way to get it back on again is by pressing the light adjustment buttons...

Did you solve it?

I'm having exactly the same issue.

pier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2009
After trying the magnet trick what solved it for me was deactivating anything in the sharing preferences.

I think the problem was that I had internet sharing on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.