Weird logic behind PS CS6 beta period?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JesperA, Mar 28, 2012.

1. JesperA macrumors 6502a

Hi!

I downloaded the first beta version of Photoshop CS6 a couple of month ago, it gave me a 30 day trial period. The first version did not have alot of updates from CS5, basically a new interface color :p

So yeah, my 30 day trial period ended several weeks ago and a week ago a new beta version of PS CS6 came out, with alot of new updates. I wanted to try the new features so i downloaded the beta from Adobes website, the only problem is that after i installed the new beta version it knows that my previous trial period has ended, so i cant test the new features.

Anyone else experience this? Or did i do something crazy messing up the installation or something, tried several times, same result.

I mean, whats the point in several beta versions, spanning several month apart and the total time you get in total for all of them is 30 days? Doesnt make any sense.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Contact adobe, and/or review the info in their forums. I'm not planning on upgrading to CS6 so I can't help you but I generally don't install their betas but I wait until the full product is available.

3. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

4. JesperA thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried that but the "Continue trial" button is unclickable

Attached Files:

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I would use something like AppCleaner to completely remove PS CS6 from your computer. Your trial period is most likely stored on a .plist file that hasn't been removed. Once it is removed, you can then do a clean install of the new version and it should work.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software such as AppCleaner doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

7. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Adobe doesn't play by the book. Dragging the .app with their software in not a good idea. Fine for anything else.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the links I posted. AppCleaner always leaves stuff behind.

9. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

It not a good idea to drag an Adobe .app into the trash. Use their uninstall software. That is independent of anything you do with AppCleaner. I stand by my post.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even Adobe's uninstall software doesn't remove it all. In fact, the uninstall software that comes with many apps intentionally leaves things like .plist files behind, with the reasoning that if you decide to reinstall their software, your preferences will already be set. The manual method I posted is the only way to completely remove it.

11. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

But does it solve the problem with Adobe's records? As I understand it, you have to go through their uninstall program to update their records on licence activations. I deleted some Adobe software using the .app to trash method not long after switching to Mac. Messed up my licence as their records showed it as still in use.