Weird! mac os couldn't be installed on your computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cybrax-etc, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Cybrax-etc macrumors member

Cybrax-etc

I'm running Mac OS High Sierra.

My dad encountered this message any idea how to fix this?

(
    I tried clicking the restart message but it goes back to the same message)

Attached Files:

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

3. Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors member

Cybrax-etc

4. Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors member

Cybrax-etc

5. TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

I had this problem recently when updating a MBP to High Sierra. I tried several times without success. I ended up formatting and doing a clean install and then brought back the personal files. If you have a current backup it's no problem, otherwise you should be able to boot off an external OS and copy the files you need.

6. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

Looks like the installer is corrupted. The easiest solution would be to restore from the latest Time Machine backup, redownload the installer, and try again. If you don't have a backup, you could try reinstalling macOS by booting into the recovery partition (hold ⌘R on boot).

7. TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

I forgot to mention that I discovered that the failed installation had already moved user files into a temporary location and this was likely not something that could be fixed any longer with an install over the top of the currently messed up Macintosh HD.

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

Unless your dad has some compelling reason to use High Sierra, I'd advise him to stick with Low Sierra for now.

For many folks, it runs better with fewer headaches...

9. Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors member

Cybrax-etc

I wish that was the case but i cant exit out of it there is no x or exit or anything, i searched and couldnt find anything. Heck, i even restarted the mac and it would go back to the same screen.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2018 ---
    I wish that was the case but i cant exit out of it there is no x or exit or anything, i searched and couldnt find anything. Heck, i even restarted the mac and it would go back to the same screen.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2018 ---

10. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

How about attempting the directions? Restart the computer, hold ⌘R immediately after turning it on, from there restore the backup or reinstall macOS. You won't accomplish anything if you do nothing.

11. Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors member

Cybrax-etc

So I went to disk utilities, I was wondering if I could copy individual files to a USB and then reinstall mac os? Also what happens if i eject OS X Base System?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2018 ---
    IMG_0450.JPG

12. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

You could copy individual files using Terminal but there is no way to do it in the graphical interface of the Recovery Partition. Reinstalling macOS will not remove any data. You cannot eject the "OS X Base System" as that is the partition that you are booted to.

13. Cybrax-etc thread starter macrumors member

Cybrax-etc

Okay so I can hold command r while it's booting and nothing won't happen?

14. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

Holding ⌘R will boot into the recovery partition and doesn't make any changes in and of itself.