Weird Mac Pro problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chad H, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    I have had a weird problem arise. I have a early '08 3.0Ghz mac pro with 8GB RAM. I was handbraking about 19 dvds and had some problems with it quitting. Then all of a sudden I noticed when clicking on a program from the dock it opens the finder window to the location of the program. Also, just noticed that safari has set it itself to open a tab when a link is clicked. What is causing this? Sidenote:I have restarted and turned the computer completely off.

2. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Anybody? I'm at a loss and this is really annoying.

3. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

No freaking idea. Have you reset PRAM (several times, not only once)? Have you trashed Finder, Dock and Safari prefs? Make another account and check it for similar issues -- in order to find out whether it's systemwide. If not -- trash all finder, dock and safari prefs (within your account), or just migrate to this fresh account...

4. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

How do you reset the PRAM and trash finder preferences?

5. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Restart the computer.
    Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    Release the keys.

That's the standard procedure, but I've noticed that sometimes you need to repeat it several times (I mean, not releasing the keys before the comp has restarted several times).

Here is the kb:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

6. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

your account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.finder.plist

Move it in trash, restart and check if it's gone. If everything OK, you may delete the prefs.

PS -- Same with dock (com.apple.dock.plist) and safari (com.apple.Safari.plist) preferences. But I would first check whether these issues are account-limited.

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Sounds like there is a problem with your keyboard and the Command button is stuck on.

Could you disconnect the keyboard and then try clicking a link in Safari or an icon in your dock.

You don't happen to have another keyboard to see if it happens with both do you?

EDIT: Though if this was the case you shouldn't have been able to type anything.

8. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Yeah, that's right.

9. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Well as weird as it sounds. I switched back to my old apple wireless keyboard(white) and wireless mighty mouse and the problem stopped. I was using a standard USB wireless Logitech mouse with the new aluminum wireless Apple keyboard.

10. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

maybe his mouse click was configured to "cmd-click", thus he was still able to type with the keyboard but the mouse clicks produced those 'weird' actions.

11. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Chad should have noticed that, while he didn't. So I opt for some hardware malfunctioning. Glad it's solved!

sash