Weird Macbook Pro Problem, Help :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxPayne3476, Jan 29, 2009.

1. MaxPayne3476 macrumors newbie

Okay, I've been having an odd problem with my Macbook Pro (Core2Duo) for some time now. I went on a ski trip, and while using my macbook in the room, the computer froze and the graphics became distorted. A quick restart fixed it.

When I got back up to school, I tried to turn my macbook on and the same grey particles were on the screen and the screenshot below is where I'd end up.

Was about to get ready to go to the Mac store, tried it again and it works fine. For about a month there was no problems, and then all of a sudden last night I have the same exact problem. It just freezes out of nowhere and ends up with the same screen.

Left the laptop at the screen posted below, came home a while later and now it works fine again. I want to say it's the graphics processor (8600GT) but why would it keep fixing itself? My warranty is up, so no help there. Let me know what you guys think. A PRAM reset doesn't help. Your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Most likely a bad nVidia GPU. Apple is covering those for an additional 12 months. Take it in asap. They have a test to determine if its the known nVidia GPU issue. Don't delay, take it in to be certain. If it's not that problem you've only lost a bit of time.

Cheers,

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Graphics card issue, whole logicboard needs replacing, take it to the Apple Store, get a genius to fix it for you. $600 without Warranty or Applecare, Free with Warranty or Applecare.
    You wont loose any data so dont worry.