Weird MacBook pro problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickbomb, Apr 27, 2011.

1. nickbomb macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've come in search of help.

Heres the story: i gave my family member my mac to take on the airplane home with them. When I came home a week later, i plugged it in and it didn't work. They admitted it got a little wet, but it was just a leak from a sports bottle cap, and the case was the only wet part.

Problem: it won't turn on. The magsafe light is a very dim green, no response on battery level or power button. I opened up the Mac, there was a little bit of white powder on the battery, could be acid, but there is so little it could be dust. But on the Logicboard, there is a green/white powder on a few parts, it looks like it seeped out of the chips in the logic board, with traces of it across the inside of the Mac.

If you guys know anything, please help!

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Not sure but whoever made it a "little wet" is probably off by pint or two.

3. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Ya, they probably spilt a bottle of something on it.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'd try a new magsafe to rule out a power supply issue, but I think your MBP might have been hosed on that flight(pun intended).

5. nickbomb thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah forgot to say I already tried another MagSafe adapter. And i know their not lying, cause they already are willing to pay, even get a new Mac if it's shot.

6. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

sounds like ur getting a new mac. Tel ur folks to keep liquids far away from computers next time.;)

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

If they are willing to pay then they probably are lying, they wouldn't be willing to pay if they actually didn't do anything.

Anyway, that's too bad but I think you'll need a new Mac.

8. PwcrLinux macrumors newbie

Where the spilled area on your mac, by the magsafe or went thru the KB?

9. nickbomb thread starter macrumors newbie

It was just around the backside. And its my parents, they bought it for me for school, and will buy another, their not lying.

But that doesn't explain the battery acid looking stuff on the logic board, I've read about the dim green light in association with logic board failure.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Here is what likely happened. They likely spilled a small amount on the computer, and a small amount is relative, but the amount isn't important given any water can destroy the system. The computer was either on when this happened or off; either way, they restarted it too soon and upon doing this, they effectively cooked the system. You should replace it outright if you can, as any electronic that is damaged by water is never the same again.

11. Artillerist macrumors newbie

I would almost think its mostly a battery issue, what caused that could be a few things. If you have the apple care protection I would say send it it to be checked out it may be fixable and free if they find a fault with the battery. This could save your parents some Guilt and money

12. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

this guy has it right i think, ^^^ sorry to hear bout your machine too,hope u sort it out,least youll get a new one,sounds like water damage and components shorting