Weird Macbook Pro problem,

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rafalski24, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Rafalski24 macrumors regular

So I have a uMPB, been running slightly slow recently but I just thought this was normal slow down as you add stuff to the OS. Just a few minutes ago the computer grey curtained me (you know where the screen goes grey and brings up a box that tells you to turn off the computer). Now I am thinking its a bigger problem. even though this isn't much info, anyone have any idea as to what it could be. Feel free to ask me questions to find out more if you think you may know what it could be.
    Thanks

2. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I would suggest you start by repairing permissions and also the disk. Best do it by starting up with the CD.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Generally, repairing permissions should be done in the OS unless the user can't boot into the OS or is unable to get to Disk Utility in the OS then it would be done from the install DVD.

4. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I was under the impression that repairing permissions and the disk was more effective and throughout by starting from the CD because that way the system files are not in use.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If your system is updated (Software Update), the OS X partition/volume can recognize the changes and repair them if needed. Off the install DVD, won't account or recognize the changes and repair them correctly. I thought it should be done outside the OS for the exact same reason as you until I was told it was incorrect from a Tier 2 tech that what my troubleshooting was incorrect.

6. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Quite interesting, thanks for the info :)

7. Rafalski24 thread starter macrumors regular

just a few days ago, I ran Onyx... So anyone got anything else?

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Best bet to isolate the problem is to do a reinstall or do an Archive and Install without preserving user settings.