Weird Macbook problem. Needs help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kaityhallman, Dec 1, 2011.

1. kaityhallman macrumors newbie

So I have an aluminum, 13-inch Macbook (late 2008).

As of this past Monday I had this weird issue that started. I usually leave it on charge every night to make sure I can use it most of the next day for class and what not. The charger was plugged in with a green light. However, when I opened it, it would not turn on. I also have my iPhone plugged in the USB, so I unplugged that and tried again. Nothing. Whenever I pressed the power button, it sounded like the clicking noise you hear from the hard drive whenever you turn it on, but it sounded like it stopped in the middle of that sound. Normally, it kind of goes "click-click", but this time, it made one click and the sound kind of died out. I know it's confusing, but that's the only way I can explain it.

I managed to finally get the computer on after removing the battery and putting it back. After that, there were no strange issues...until this morning, when it did the exact same thing.

I've googled countless different wordings of the problem trying to find an answer, and I have found nothing.
    Does anyone know what this issue is or what can be done to fix it?

Thanks so much :/

2. dakhein macrumors member

You might have to try resetting the SMC but of course follow the instructions it states to try before attempting. I believe that click click sound you here is the slot drive. I think I have had the same problem before, you get one click from the optical drive and then you get a "it's like someone let all the air out" sound which is the the machine turning off (there go the fans, hard drive, etc...).

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964