Weird Macbook, USB Headset, Skype Volume Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by carlwilk, Feb 23, 2009.

1. carlwilk macrumors newbie

Dear Forum Members,

Im having a strange issue using my Macbook with USB Headphones and Skype.

Specifics:
    Macbook
    - OSX 10.4.11
    - 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - 1GB DDR2 SDRAM

Headset
    - Logitech USB Headset
    - model unknown (but perhaps MLS04 or A-00009)

The Issue -
    This morning I was on a SkypeIn call and everything was working perfectly. Half way through my call, another SkypeIn call came through that I rejected. The second I pressed the reject button, the headset volume decreased by half. When the call finished I played around with the volume settings (from the headset itself, from the keyboard and from within system preferences) to no avail.
    I removed the headset and plugged it back in. No change.
    I restarted - no change
    I shutdown - let things sit for a few minutes and then started up again - no change
    Here is where it starts to get a little weird. When I play iTunes or some such similar application the volume plays at a normal level but as soon as I use Skype or some other random applications (voice mainly I think) the volume is very low again. This is the case even if Skype is completely shutdown and not running at all. When the USB headset is taken out, Skype volume and iTunes volumes are quite similar but when I plug the headset back in the weirdness begins again.
    Although it started whilst using Skype, I dont believe that it is directly Skype related because the issue persists even when it is not running.

Ive scanned google and a number of forums including this one but can find nothing that appears to be close to the issue that I am having.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I dont even know where to begin with this one apart from a complete reinstall.

Cheers,
    Carl

2. LJH68 macrumors newbie

Umm

Same problem and took skype out re installed
    changed all settings and checked all sound and system settings
    Still nothing worked the key board you can hear very well from call skype tester but volume sounds like im miles away when i am talking into a skype made mic?
    any ideas anyone pleaseeeee?

3. Yukonite macrumors newbie

Skype Volume Level, MBP, USB Headset

Also have same problem. "unibody" MBP. nexTech USB headset. Volume level normal except when using Skype. Volume level can be lowered with the Skype volume slider, but it cannot be raised above a certain level. That level is borderline acceptable, but would like to be able to increase it. Posted March 23, 2009.

4. Yukonite macrumors newbie

'Tis me again. Made a discovery on my MBP: Go to the OS X Preference panel, select SOUND. There select OUTPUT. The various output devices are listed, including the USB headset. Each output device has its own volume-slider setting. In my case, the USB headset slider was far to the left. I moved it to the center, and the Skype volume returned to normal. Don't know what had shifted it in first place. Will keep my eye on it.