Weird MagicTrackpad problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ksgant, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

I just got the MagicTrackpad a week ago after using the trackpad on my MacBook Pro for a while instead of a mouse. I have it set up on my desktop with an external monitor and wanted to try out the multi gestures with using a trackpad. I found I loved it and bought the Apple Bluetooth MagicTrackpad.

But for the past two days, I get a weird problem. I can't duplicate it, it just happens out of no-where. For some reason, when using it I'll get it stuck like the mouse button is down...and it won't click on anything. Won't click on windows, won't activate the Dock (have it auto-hiding) when I put the pointer down there....nothing. And using the connected USB mouse won't do anything either. I've even logged out of my account and can't use either the mouse or trackpad to click on anything at the log-in screen...even though the pointer moves fine.

I've tried turning off the trackpad and gain control back with the USB mouse, nothing. I eventually just have to reboot the entire machine to "clear" it.

Here's the weird thing too, one time it got stuck on dragging a window. I couldn't stop it from dragging the window around. I clicked and tapped and tried the USB mouse...it wouldn't let go of that window. After hitting ESC a few times, it let go of it. Quitting the Finder doesn't do anything ether.

And again, I'm not losing connection with BlueTooth to the TrackPad at all. Not getting any errors. Nothing's even showing up in the logs. Also, i can right-click with my mouse or use the right-click options on the TrackPad to bring up a contextual menu or activate menus in the menubar, but can't left click on them when it gets like that. Luckily right-clicking on them will usually activate a menu item too, so i'm able to hit reboot easily.

WTF? :mad:

2. ksgant thread starter macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Seems this isn't a new problem, that other people are having it even with their TrackPads on their MacBooks. From what I've found, no solution is given..even on the Apple support forums. :(

3. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

On mine it soes this when it gets stuck in the down position, usually after dragging something. If you lift up the Magic Trackpad it will allow you to click again (at least it does on mine). To avoid this, I have activated the tap to drag setting in the preference panel. If I do to quick taps (not clicks) holding my finger down on the second tap, I can drag anything a click-drag would allow me to drag.

4. ksgant thread starter macrumors 6502a

ksgant

I found the problem. The battery in my MBP was swollen...was pushing up on the underside of the internal TrackPad on the MBP itself.

I noticed that the problem still raised it's head even after turning off bluetooth, removing the TrackPad from the chain etc etc. and only using a USB mouse. So it had to be something else.

Then i noticed when trying to clean up the wonky pointer issues that would come up for no reason, I would try clicking on the Internal trackpad on the MBP...and it wouldn't click down. There was no movement at all. No "click". I thought for a second that it should click or something when pressed down. That's when I found the swollen battery. I took it out, plugged in the MBP to the wall and everything is fine now.