Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tootall

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
In the bottom left corner, I can see all the mail activity (receiving/sending email) of the Mail app (latest version 6.2). Every so often it indicates that it is receiving an astounding number of emails (over 65000!!!) but very little data 1,5 Megs.

I have checked my two linked email accounts (Gmail and iCloud) and I don't have 65000 emails in the inbox, archived or any other kind. I really only have about 3500 emails. The number is increasing everyday by thousands...

What is going on?

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
I'm seeing similar weird mail activity, though not on as large a scale. I'll get about 300 at a time, but they don't seem to go anywhere. Don't show in my spam, my trash, my auto rule folders, my inbox. I was initially obsessive about running Clam, but other than quarantined phishing emails, I never found anything. Would love to know what and why these emails happen.

Have sbc account and google account. I've wondered if it had to do with using sbc for send and receive while my ISP is Comcast.

10.8.2 on iMac, using Apple Mail.

Zee08

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
NE Georgia
Re: Weird Mail Activity

What you are seeing is exactly what you called it "Mail Activity". This is a little window on the activity between your Mac and the email provider. THIS IS NORMALl DO NOT BE ALARMED.

At the very bottom of the "Mail Activity" window there are 3 small icons. The icon between the"plus" and the "Gear" will toggle the window open and closed. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.