Weird Mail and Gmail thing.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IzzyJG99, Jul 24, 2011.

1. IzzyJG99, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

When I first set up my two gMail accounts in 10.4 years ago the outcome was simple. I've kept updating my Mac through either Migration Assistant or Time Machine since I setup the accounts in 10.4. The accounts in Mail (Now in Lion) appear like this. They have been that way all the way through 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. I like them like this. The "Saved" folder I added myself for receipts of purchases.

[​IMG]

I've noticed that if I setup a gMail account independently it has all of this crap that I don't want. The folder titled "GMAIL" and then sub-folders of sent and various other crap.

Is there some way to create another account with the outcome I somehow accidentally got as pictured above? Perhaps some way to change the settings inside of the gMail Mail Preferences on the account settings page?

Both accounts have POP and IMAP Enabled.

I ask cause I like it this way and not the other way around where you have all those absurd folders that pop up replicated from the gMail webmail page.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Mail.app queries gmail to find out which folders you have (gmail calls them labels). Any new labels since the last time you set up your gmail account will show up. I don't know how to get rid of them other than deleting the labels from the gmail end. I focus on the inbox and having "extra" folders show up doesn't bother me one bit. I just ignore them. It's only pixels. They don't bite.

Mail.app tends to be a bit quirky. If you want to sew how a "standard" mail app looks, download and try thunderbird. I would expect thunderbird to show all those folders as well.

3. IzzyJG99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I went to the labels section. You can select to either show or not show in IMAP. I unselected all except Inbox, which you have to show, and it got rid of them. But there seems to be a lot of send/receive bugs in Mail.app 5.0 I tested in a Test account.

Oh well. If and when I have to switch to the "normal" way and not the unusual fluke way I've been getting by I'll just have to adjust or just do what everyone else mostly does. Use Gmail.com. The horror...Oh well. Such is life. Thank you for your help.