Weird Mail Problem on Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacRobert10, Apr 4, 2013.

1. MacRobert10 macrumors 6502

I've never seen this happen before. Maybe it's common and I've just never read about it before, or something weird is happening in my Mail.app on Lion.

Here's what happened:

1. I had a lot of new mails today. I knew a lot would just be junk, because our company auto-subscribes us to some mailing services. Sometimes they're OK, but too often it's really just glorified spam. I clicked on the "From" column in the list of e-mails to sort them by sender.
    2. I start deleting all the e-mails I had from the sources I knew I could delete.
    3. I clicked on the "Date Received" column to put the remaining e-mails in order by date.
    4. I start going through the important e-mails one by one.
    5. About halfway through the list, the title and sender of the e-mail I'm about to read make sense. It's from a co-worker about a project. I click on it, and an ad for Best Western Motels comes up. We get these because we have some kind of discount program with them.
    6. This was one of the e-mails I deleted just minutes ago!

The title and sender are of a real e-mail (I had the guy send it) but it's like Mail got the contents of the two mixed up.

I've been using Mac's for over 10 years now, and I've never seen this ever happen. In fact, I've never seen this happen on any mail application I've ever used.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks.

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yeah I've seen that happen. Usually it happens when I'm moving fast from one message to the next trying to clear things out.

3. MacRobert10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Doing it quickly was exactly what I was doing. I went through other e-mails and this happened 3 times.

Sounds like a bug to me, but is there a way to get the mails "pointing" at each other properly.

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

It hasn't happened in a while, but I think if I navigated to a different account and then back it would correct itself. It's also possible I had to exit Mail then re-open it. Sorry but I just can't remember for sure.