Weird MBP battery charge after full OSX restore......

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by findnemo, Sep 25, 2008.

1. findnemo macrumors regular

I had recently restored OSX and my original battery charge was 4221 out of 5500 viva coconut battery. I could use it for around 2-2:15 hours.

After the restore it showed 2200 and the battery would die out at around 1-1:15 hours.

I just ordered a new battery from fastmac 4 days ago and now my battery just returned to normal.......coconut battery is showing 4221 again and the battery icon shows 65$ remaining with 1:53 hours left.....which is amazing since this is a core duo model with 27 months and 190 load cycles on it.

Is this normal? It's weird that software can control battery life...... since I experienced first hand that when it showed 4221 it was nearly at 2 hours and when it was at 2200 it died prematurely at 1 hour.

Btw.....this is blowing my mind.

2. findnemo thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I found the culprit.......I remember setting the fanspeed to 1800 rpm viva fanspeed program yesterday......and then I immediatly got back my 4221 charge.

The mbp started to get a bit warm so I turned the fanspeed to 2300 and after 20 min I closed the lid and put it to sleep. It was showing 33% battery when I shut it. When I went to open the lid.....nothing came up. I plugged the charger in and the battery was at 0%.........wow

Checked coconut battery and its showing 2613.....

This is sooooo weird. I never had a problem with fan control before.

[​IMG]

EDIT - tweeked fancontrol down to 1900ish rpms and my charge is back up to 4228........

[​IMG]

3. findnemo thread starter macrumors regular

Ok now it seams now that everytime I get it at 4222ish charge and I close the lid......it resets and goes back to 0% battery life with only a 2300ish charge......what's going on!!!??!

4. Sandpiper macrumors newbie

I think i have a similar problem. Since a week my battery only lasts for an hour or 2, while i'm just using safari. When the charge is at 0% the macbook pro goes to sleep. Normally it can remain in sleep-mode for a couple of hours before it completely dies, but now i have kept it in sleep-mode for over 48 hours, without completely running out of juice. I started recharging it before the battery was dead, so i don't know how much longer it would have lasted. I think this means there's something wrong with the microcontroller (within the battery) that's keeping track of the battery charge, letting the mac os think there's no charge left when there might be something like 50% left.

Today i started the mbp with a fully charged battery and os x said the battery charge was 0%, but it didn't go to sleep automatically. It did shut down after an hour or two. When i started charging again, it first stayed at 0% for about half an hour, before increasing.

I have my mbp for a year and a week with 109 battery cycles. right now it has a health of 52% (yesterday it was still at 86%)

Does anyone know if there's a way to reset the microprocessor? Also is there any risk in overcharging the battery, since the microprocessor can't really tell when the battery is fully charged?