Weird mbp fan noise.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ultimateceej, Dec 13, 2007.

1. ultimateceej macrumors regular

ultimateceej

On the left side of the computer, there is a clicking noise that sounds like a fan isn't working right. Imagine one of those round fans on a stand that turns back and forth that makes a noise and that's what the noise sounds like. I've done some searching and most people say that it's usually the hard drive but if I use SMCFanControl to raise the fan speed, the noise gets faster, so I know it is definitely not the hard drive. I would just take it to an apple store but there is a dent on the back left corner so they might say it's my fault and won't do anything about it. What do you think? Is it worth my time to go to the store?

2. Diejws macrumors member

Diejws

The clicking sound is similar to what I had for a while. It got worse as the fan RPMs ramped up for some programs, so I pinpointed it from the beginning. I didn't do anything about it for a while because I was lazy, but it ended up getting worse and I had to get it replaced. I recommend going ahead and taking it to the store as there's definitely something wrong. I don't know how bad your dent is, but the optical drive area of my Macbook is sunken in slightly, so I thought that might be an issue with getting the computer repaired, but it wasn't (of course, I didn't point it out), so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the dent makes the computer look like it has been inappropriately mishandled.

3. ultimateceej thread starter macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Ok thanks. Did they fix it in store or did they send it in for you?

4. Diejws macrumors member

Diejws

I had it sent in via post since the nearest Apple store is ~2 hours away.

5. ultimateceej thread starter macrumors regular

ultimateceej

Same here except ~2 = 4+ hours. ::rolleyes:

Thanks for the help.