Weird MBP Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splatkid10, Jul 19, 2012.

1. splatkid10 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

So I'm running the 2.4 GHz 15" MBP from April 2010. I originally had 4 GB of RAM, but upgraded to 8 GB (from Newegg). I'm running OS X Lion 10.7.4.

I've recently started having an issue with my computer. When I swipe my trackpad to go to Mission Control I have the screen shut off and the computer freezes. The keyboard remains lit. If I'm playing music the song starts skipping. I have to hold the power button to turn the computer off and then hit it again to start back up. Normally I've found this problem to occur when I have multiple Safari browsers open, iTunes, and one or two other applications.

I took the computer to the Genius Bar and their diagnostic system found no hardware issues or software issues for that matter. They told me I could reinstall Lion (which I did) but it did not seem to really help.

Any ideas on what may be going on and how I might be able to fix it?

Thanks!

-splatkid10

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

See if you have some multitouch features changed. Also corners or something like that. If problem persists it may be a trackpad issue or something more complex and difficult to find.

3. splatkid10 thread starter macrumors newbie

What are corners? I do have some trackpad multitouch features changed up a little bit. I get the feeling that it is not a track pad issue, but a memory one. If I save and upload a copy of the error report next time it happens will that help?

-splatkid10

4. splatkid10 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Logic says you may have one or more bad memory sticks. Since you recently put them in, and since the genius testing came up clean. Try taking out the new ones and see if the problem disappears...If it does send back the RAM for replacement..

You can run memtest too, but it's not always accurate.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/03/memtest-mac-ram-test/