Weird menu bar/display problem 15'' rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matt.Simmons, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Matt.Simmons, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

Matt.Simmons macrumors member

So I searched through about 20 pages of threads and didn't find anything but if there was a thread on this then first off, where the heck is it, second, sorry for the repost.

I picked up a rMBP last Friday and it's awesome. Easily the best MacBook and the best computer I've had.

It's not all good news however, the past two days I have had this weird issue when I open the MacBook from a sleep. It's extremely warm on the underside and my screen looks this this:
    [​IMG]

and another

[​IMG]

Not sure if this is a hardware or software problem. Have you guy's seen or had this problem. I actually splurged and bought Apple Care for the first time so I suppose I could take it to them, though having never had Apple Care before I'm unsure of what they would do.

Side note- I just did the terminal command and determined that I have a Samsung display.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

Strange. I take it you've tried turning it on and off again?

3. CHMK macrumors regular

take it to apple... see you have a few third party menu bar apps? maybe some sort of bug with them? u could remove them temp. and see what happens.

4. Matt.Simmons thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't happen all the time, which is weird. I'm going to remove those menu bar items and see if the problem persists.

----------

Yeah turning it off and on is what fixes the problem. Oddly when I go to restart the machine it takes anywhere from 2 to 5 mins to restart. Apple may get a visit very soon I feel.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Something wrong there--you should definitely take it in so Apple can take a look at it. Also as a side note, you don't need Apple Care during the first year--and you can purchase any time during the first year to get those extra two years. Although some may want to purchase it after 90 days as that is when the telephone technical support ends under the normal warranty.

6. Matt.Simmons, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

Matt.Simmons thread starter macrumors member

Another this just happened. This time it was on the right side of the screen.

[​IMG]

Edit--- It's super hard to see in the picture because it's white on white and at the very edge of the screenshot. Anyway back to the Apple Store I go.

7. iPersian macrumors regular

ive had this issue on my 2006. i think in my case its a faulty gpu. does your mac crash alot? min hangs on so i have to do a restart my using the on/off button.

8. Matt.Simmons thread starter macrumors member

Alright so I figured out the app causing it was "Degrees" an app which shows the local temperature outside. I did process of elimination and figured it was that particular app. I also emailed the developer so hopefully they realize there is a problem with the app.