Weird Mouse When Switching Link from Text to Regular Pointer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by celloman, Feb 16, 2008.

1. celloman macrumors member

celloman

I noticed that in Firefox when the mouse pointer changes between the select text icon and the regular pointer, if the changes are made quickly, an ugly larger mouse pointer appears under the regular arrow pointer. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I've noticed this on my Macbook Pro, and my fiance's Macbook. Its most likely just a firefox thing and, while annoying, harmless.

3. weizilla macrumors regular

Are you talking about when the normal black pointer expands to twice its size then becomes normal very quickly? I've been trying to figure out this for the last day and I thought I was just going crazy and seeing things because it seems like it should happen a lot but I can't find anything online about it.

4. MerrieLu macrumors newbie

Same here. Although it usually happens in Firefox I have also noticed it in Word!

5. lcabral4625 macrumors newbie

Does anyone has a solution...anyone? or an idea?

OMG finally, some ppl who now what the hell i'm talking about, i thought i was going cookoo cause one minute its there, and then poof gone, and the longer i used mozilla firefox, the bigger and longer the pointer would change it was so distracting, i stopped using firefox altogether!!!:confused:

6. MiaEllie macrumors newbie

MiaEllie

Me, Too!!!

I thought that I was going crazy! When my cursor is supposed to change from the arrow to a pointy finger and back, I get a big ugly black circle with a white dot in it just for a split second in between the changes. At first the big black blob was pretty rare now it happens all of the time. The increase in the occurrence happened pretty quickly...within just about a week, there has been a very noticeable increase. It definitely happens in Firefox, Safari and Word (and probably other times, too. I just don't do that much on my computer).
    I have the extended apple care plan and have called in several times about this issue with a variety of reactions from the typical, "I've never heard of this before", to a not surprised sounding, "Let's try a few things to fix this issue". Well, I have done everything suggested by the apple tech operators- even an Archive and Install- and the problem continues to get worse every day. Let's see maybe I can spend a few more hours on the phone before I can finally be told I can take my Macbook to get repaired in person.
    If anyone else out there has or had this problem please let me know. I'd love to try to get this fixed!

7. lcabral4625 macrumors newbie

Re:

it mostly happens with the old version firefox, so i updated to the newer version, and i can say it no longer does it, but i am still weary, and continue to use Safari.

Most of the time when the pointer did zoom, it was mainly on windows-based applications. But if it happens all the time on your laptop, even on Apple based apps, then you might need your logic board checked (at least thats what I read online)

Oh yea, I also called, and Apple techie had no clue as to what i was talking about!!! Few weeks later there was a new version of Firefox Mozilla for macs :p. I like to think I was special but whatever.

Apple really needs to get on this situation, my best advice is go to an apple store and try speaking to a technician, so they can see what your talking about.

Good Luck!!!:apple:

8. MiaEllie macrumors newbie

MiaEllie

Big Scary Black Blob GONE (for now)!!! YAY!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
    I downloaded and installed the new version of Firefox and boy has it helped! Plus the new Firefox is super neat!! Well, I'll probably still have issues with the big black blob on Word and Safari but I don't use those much anyway. It's just great to get a break from that ugly eyesore especially on Firefox which I use the most.
    Thanks again to you lcabral!

9. lcabral4625 macrumors newbie

Im glad!!!

No problem, have fun using your Mac! That ugly blob really did bother me, and I'm glad i'm not the only who thought so. Apple definitely owes us an explanation.

10. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen