Weird - my kid can see my iphone browse on her iphone

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by dknyc1, Sep 30, 2014.

1. dknyc1 macrumors newbie

So here is how it is happening. I have new Iphone 6 & my daughter has Iphone 5c updated to ios 8.
    When you double click home & it lets you sweep up to close apps.... but if you sweep right from home screen it shows an icon that says David (me) iphone 6 & if she clicks on it it shows me browsing, if I am.
    I can do the same on my phone & see her browsing.
    The whole family shares 1 apple ID, but each device is named differently.
    We do not have family sharing activiated I dont think.
    How do I fix this?

Thx

2. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

stop sharing the same apple id..? everyone should have their own for multiple reasons..

3. Wise87 macrumors 6502

I agree with the above statement but to turn off the feature go to Settings-General- Handoff & Suggested Apps and turn it off.

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You can use other available browsers, or use private navigation in Safari, if you really want to retain the same Apple id over and over.

5. DiscoMcDisco macrumors regular

DiscoMcDisco

Just worth mentioning, but the day after I had updated to iOS 8 I was standing in the middle of Liverpool Street Station and saw a little app icon in the bottom corner.

This was a suggested app, based on popular items in the area. Freaked me out at first but now I get it I don't mind (and have switched them off for the time-being because it's technically an advert).

Having different apple ID's where only one of you is the purchaser is the way forward for solving this problem. Your kids should not have access to your Apple ID ever, so start taking security a little bit more seriously please :)

6. Phoboss macrumors member

^this pretty much. Stop using the same appleid.

7. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I can understand using the same ID for the App Store. Until Family Share was released there was no other way to have everyone in your household download the same apps without having to pay for them again. But you've always been able to separate your iCloud ID from this and you should.

8. BrettDS macrumors 65816

This is handoff. It's designed so that you can start browsing on your iPhone and then switch to your iPad and open up right where you left off on the phone. Since you're using a single Apple ID for everyone then you'll see this on all of your family's devices. You can turn off handoff, or, better yet, let everyone have their own Apple ID.

9. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

Weird - my kid can see my iphone browse on her iphone

Never mind i see the above answer. It's handoff. I didn't know this worked from phone to pone.

10. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

But with handoff off, you still get some of that behaviour. iCloud tabs will still show if Safari enabled in iCloud. Not as obvious, but still there. And guessing that's where "frequently visited" is coming from (ie. Noticed a website I spent a lot of time on on the iPad showed up on the phone's freq visit list as well).

So, disable Safari in iCloud as well. Or real answer, as others mentioned, stop using same cloud ID and setup Family sharing.

11. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

It's 1 Apple ID per person. you wouldn't share your personal email with the whole family, would you? (Unless it's a family email account but never mind that lol)

Apple ID is meant to be an individual thing. One for each soul. That's how it's designed.