Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Have a weird one for you.

A friend has xfinity and an xfinity Router. When I am over my iPad Pro works fine. But my MacBook does not get some sites. I will get some sites like yahoo, but not reddit. It’s very random, and at the same time my iPad Pro has no problems at all. When I am home, the MacBook works fine, every site works no problem.

Any ideas on what’s happening?

My friends has mentioned that the internet has been acting up, but hard and soft reboots haven’t helped. I suggested they just call xFinity, but it’s really curious to me why one of my devices work and one doesn’t.

BTW: I double checked and both devices are in fact connecting to the same wireless network.

GaryST

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2020
Last edited:

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Normally the router hands out DNS entries to all connected devices. That’s default behavior. Unless one chooses to change “Configure DNS” on your devices from Automatic to Manual. It sounds like somewhere along the line you changed DNS config on one or both of your devices. It’s not enough to enter different DNS as the router will override whatever you've entered unless you changed Automatic to Manual (in spite of volumes of internet “knowledge“, this step is rarely acknowledged). Open the settings for both your devices and set the one your not satisfied with to the same config as the one that works as you would like it.

Best practice is to put some thought into the router's DNS and leave all devices on Automatic. Since it’s not your router, you might want to set up a Location specifically for your friends router and switch back to whatever works at your home when your done.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Thanks for all the replies, sorry for being MIA, Im back at work Monday and will try a few of those things.

BTW I am running Catalina, tomorrow Im am going to log on at home and a relatives wifi to see if the problem is only happening in one location.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks for all the replies, sorry for being MIA, Im back at work Monday and will try a few of those things.

BTW I am running Catalina, tomorrow Im am going to log on at home and a relatives wifi to see if the problem is only happening in one location.

The is competitive spirit on a network standard because they need to selll as cheap as possible! Many sub $50 dollar router will not follow the Wi-Fi Standard!

So the old saying “You get what you pay for” still holds truth today!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.