Weird: New RAM and Sleep Issues MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tyndale13, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Tyndale13 macrumors newbie

I've a late 2008 unibody Macbook Pro and I just upgraded the RAM to 4Gigs of OWC RAM and.........I have now had TWO sleep issues. My Macbook just won't wake up! This has only happened when I leave it unplugged and let it go into "deep sleep", and it will wake back up if I wait a few minutes on its own. Any ideas what is happening? Is it the new RAM or if it's left unplugged should I just expect a few minutes for it to wake up. The latter would seem kind of sad for a sophisticated machine...:mad:

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It sounds like either you didn't put the correct RAM in, or the RAM is broken, or you didnt put it in correctly.

Is the RAM pushed all the way into its slot?
    Whats the RAM details? List its specs or a link and i'll tell you if you bought the right stuff.

3. drmemory macrumors newbie

Some RAM modules draw more current than the laptop supplies for sleep. If you try one module at a time and both work independently of each other, but not together, your RAM module probably draws too much current for your laptop. Sometimes just one of the DRAM on the module causing the overdraw of current. If it's the RAM, replace it.

4. Tyndale13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

The Macbook works with both of the modules installed but has problems waking quickly. I did have a GPS receiver hooked up to the USB port both of the times it has been sleepy and I know that the GPS unit drew a lot of power. Also, both times the computer was sleepy, the remaining battery power was right at 25%. I returned the GPS unit so it won't be attached anymore....maybe it was the problem!

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I'd bet it was the gps and not the memory. Should be easy to find out.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem