Weird noise around speaker area - Retina Early 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bankrip123, Mar 8, 2014.

1. bankrip123 macrumors member

A couple of weeks ago, my 15 rMBP, all of sudden, had this weird noise at the area of the right-handside speaker. The computer still run fine but the noise was very irritating, especially in a quiet night when I usually work. I took it to Apple Store few days ago and they agreed to fix and then send it back to me later. I got the computer today and the noise was still there, like Apple did not do anything at all.

In the paper coming back with the computer, Apple said they did change the Logic Board and they claimed the computer passed all the hardware testing. Apparently, this does not do the trick.

What should I do in this case? I have to drive 1h30 to the closet apple store. I can live with the noise at the time being, but I know sooner or later I have to bring it to the store again. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you can, record the noise each time it happens and under what circumstances with the machine it occurs. Once you have 2 or 3 recordings, take it back to Apple for further repair.

3. bankrip123 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Should I use a separate camera to record the noise or is there any software that I can use?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you have an iPhone or other smartphone, use it to record the noises. The more information you can give the Genius Bar, the better you will be, in my opinion. Provide all the details you can.

5. dalupus macrumors regular

What type of noise is it? Mine had a slight buzzing sound that went away if I turned off the keyboard backlights.

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

I have read on some threads owners finding a buzzing noise from the right side which is exactly where the ssd is located few said the noise is from the ssd. Not sure it if its normal or not but the noise mostly comes when you are reading from the drive. I guess you could call up apple care and tell them the issue and mail them the sound clips so their engineeering or designing team can have a look.

7. bankrip123 thread starter macrumors member

I will ship the laptop to Apple tomorrow. The senior technician that I talked to today did not ask me to record the noise. Very satisfied with Apple customer service so far.

8. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Good to know i wish i had some better support from apple care my 15" early 2013 has been at the AASP from two weeks