Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bron0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Miami
It started making noise 5 days after i bought it i don't know if it is normal so i took it to the apple store. they said that they did not detected anything. so had no reason to fix. plus since i bought it from pc connection express they cannot replace it. now the noise is getting louder and i don't know what to do

Serif

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
UK
Does the noise change when you change the fan speed manually with the iStat software? Just trying to make sure that this is indeed fan noise you're hearing.

Also can you try and describe the noise. Does the pitch of the sound vary?

bron0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Miami
Does the noise change when you change the fan speed manually with the iStat software? Just trying to make sure that this is indeed fan noise you're hearing.

Also can you try and describe the noise. Does the pitch of the sound vary?

The noise is a buzzing noise and i am pretty sure it is the fan noise beocuse as soon as i turn it on you can hear a loud noise coming from the fan area

Serif

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
UK
Top Left i bet? Likely the PSU and not the fan if so
That's what I was getting at when asking to vary the fan speed. If the noise doesn't change when the fan speed does then one of the transformers (main PSU, left hand edge, or screen step up transformer, upper edge) is what I'd begin to worry about.

Serif

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
UK
Can you download some software such as SMC fan control or iStat Menus that allows you to vary the fan speed on your computer? Let us know if changing the fan speed changes the noise. If not then I suspect one of the transformers may be on the way out. If that's the case then I'm afraid it will need replacing.

If fan speed changes the noise then it's a different problem and there may be some other things we can suggest that will solve things for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.