Weird noise coming out of my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FrenchPB, Aug 27, 2009.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Guys, there is a weird noise coming out of my iMac when it gets hot. It sounds like the fan hits something on its rotation, so it goes (teeketeeketeeketee...).

When I look at the screen, the noise is coming from the top left corner. It is very annoying. When I bring it back to the store, they don't hear nothing cause the computer doesn't have time to get hot.

What could I do ? Is there any way I could look at the fan and see what's wrong with it ? I have never opened my iMac but this is very frustrating. It's not under Apple Care anymore.

Thanks for your help.

2. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

If it's that annoying

Let them hang onto it overnight or so and have them keep it running until the problem manifests itself. It's really the only way to locate a heat fail, well, outside of setting up a heat tent.

HTH ... Cheers! :cool:

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I've only had my iMac partly disassembled, but I'm not sure if there is a fan in the top-left corner. Take a look:

[​IMG]

However, the sound you describe does sound like a fan issue. I'm not sure what to tell you. You could disassemble it and visually inspect the fans, but you may not see anything. The disassembly process is also fairly involved, requiring you to use suction cups to remove the display cover. You can find tutorials online.

4. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

You could maybe download the smc fan control app and ramp the fans to max when you are showing the Apple Genies.

5. MTI macrumors 65816

It really depends on which iMac (size screen, processor and isight) the OP has, since the internal are laid out differently for the various models, particularly between the ones with and without iSight. On the 17" non-iSight G5, the upper left is where the hard drive lives, but there's also a fan just next to it. The fans are shrouded, but it could well be that a cable, or more likely one of the thin plastic connector pull assists have come off and found it's way next to the fan blades.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Dur! I thought I read that it was an aluminum model. Yes, ignore my advice if that's not the case. :p

7. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

It is indeed a 20" aluminium iMac, bout 15 months ago.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In that case... you can listen to me. :D

(Even if I didn't say anything of value.)

9. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem always happen when I play a video... I guess it works more and get hotter quicker... I'm scared there's not much I can do :( Hardware problems suck whn your computer is not under warranty anymore...

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah. Fan speed is tied to processor use, and playing high-resolution video can be fairly processor-intensive.

11. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys, I noticed something very strange. That weird hardware noise happens when I watch baseball using MLB.tv. As soon as the video plays, the weird noise starts... it doesn't happen when I watch video using VLC however. Besides, it only happens when I play the video fullscreen !!!

The sound is always the same, comes from the top left corner of the iMac, and stops as soon as I quit the full screen mode...

How weird is that ?

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try running this test for yourself.