Weird noise from late 2013 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by palakpaneerlover, Apr 12, 2017.

1. palakpaneerlover macrumors newbie

Hello, my late 2013, 13" retina mbp started doing a weird noise. It sounds like something you'd expect from an old skool mechanical drive. But this is an all flash machine.

From what I understand the only moving part should be the fan? But it does not really sound like one.

I recorded the sound here, its not very loud so turn up your speakers

I stopped using it immediately when I noticed and bought a new one, since I don't want to experience a melt down from overheating or similar.

Now I am wondering if this Is something I should be able to fix, since in working order this maxed out 2013 mbp (512gb / 16gb) should still be worth some cash.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Was the sound always that regular? You'd think a fan might have a constant rhythm, but not a constant duration over and over. I suppose it could be the sound of a fan starting and then shutting down because of some mechanical problem. There's software that will report your fan speed.

Have you ruled out that the sound is coming from a speaker?

3. palakpaneerlover thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i havent used the computer much since it occured but as far as i can well its constant on/off with the same interval, doesnt matter if the computer is idling or is hot.

Pretty sure i'ts from inside the actual computer and not from the speakers.

Might give a fan reporting app a try, any suggestions?

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I've never used reporting software, so maybe someone else can suggest some, or you can check online by searching mac fan monitor.