Weird noise from late 2013 Macbook Pro

palakpaneerlover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
Hello, my late 2013, 13" retina mbp started doing a weird noise. It sounds like something you'd expect from an old skool mechanical drive. But this is an all flash machine.

From what I understand the only moving part should be the fan? But it does not really sound like one.

I recorded the sound here, its not very loud so turn up your speakers

I stopped using it immediately when I noticed and bought a new one, since I don't want to experience a melt down from overheating or similar.

Now I am wondering if this Is something I should be able to fix, since in working order this maxed out 2013 mbp (512gb / 16gb) should still be worth some cash.

Sanpete

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Was the sound always that regular? You'd think a fan might have a constant rhythm, but not a constant duration over and over. I suppose it could be the sound of a fan starting and then shutting down because of some mechanical problem. There's software that will report your fan speed.

Have you ruled out that the sound is coming from a speaker?

palakpaneerlover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
Yes, i havent used the computer much since it occured but as far as i can well its constant on/off with the same interval, doesnt matter if the computer is idling or is hot.

Pretty sure i'ts from inside the actual computer and not from the speakers.

Might give a fan reporting app a try, any suggestions?

Sanpete

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I've never used reporting software, so maybe someone else can suggest some, or you can check online by searching mac fan monitor.