Weird noises coming from my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KidZgOtMac, Aug 30, 2011.

1. KidZgOtMac macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

Sometimes when I move the computer around or slide it I can hear a ding sound, sort of like if there was a small metal ball or something moving around inside. Help?

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

It's the sudden motion sensor (SMS) In your MacBook Pro. When you suddenly move the computer, it will make this noise because it stops the hard drive from spinning. It basically keeps your hard drive safe from being damaged by normal use.

However, it's also very useful to have in case your computer drops off of a counter or something. It will keep all your data safe.

3. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

Yeah I was/am a bit concerned over a new noise that started happening with my Macbook Pro after installing the OWC optibay.

Got a SSD from OWC so I put the factory 750GB HDD into the optibay. Now, whenever I restart the computer when it was running Windows, it'll make a single tick sound when it starts to reload to BIOS. The click sound is coming from the HDD and I thought maybe it was failing even though it's a new drive, but I noticed it never makes that tick sound when I restart the computer from Mac OS, so I am just assuming it's okay since it never makes that noise any other time.

4. Glockcubed macrumors member

Glockcubed

5. KidZgOtMac thread starter macrumors regular

KidZgOtMac

oh man, I admit being scared for a second there. Thanks for the info.