Weird noises during startup.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Joshh1, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Joshh1 macrumors regular

Joshh1

Hey guys, again I come with another question. :p

The last two days I have woken up and started my G4, and I hear an odd noise.

I hear my drives spin up, but it takes probably 15 seconds for the Apple to show up on the grey bootscreen, after the first Chime I hear a 2nd noise from the internal speaker that I can't really describe? I can also hear a weird noise that sounds like rubbing or something if I listen very closely. Maybe this is a dust build up on the fan.

Disk Utility says both of my drives are fine, and my computer is running fine. I'm just kind of confused here.. Should I pick up some canned air and clean out the computer a bit?

Thanks in advanced

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

I'd take the computer outside, then yes, open it and blow it off. If there is a lot of dust, you might want to remove the hard drives first so that you don't increase the chance of forcing dust inside when you're using the compressed air. It could also be that the fan bearings are getting old, and you're starting to hear them.

3. Joshh1 thread starter macrumors regular

Joshh1

Yeah I am thinking it could be the internal fan starting to go out, I opened it up and theirs hardly any dust, so I'll go pick up some duster and spray it out.

Does anyone have a link to a store that I could buy a new fan?

Also, oddly enough, I only hear the 2nd noise after the regular OS X Chime when the computer is off for a few hours (Runs all day, shut down at night):confused:

Thanks!

4. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

You can probably find a fan from Mac Pro Systems or We Love Macs. Or, take out the fan, get the manufacture and model number, and search the web for an equivalent replacement.