Weird Noises from Unibody MBP Optical Drive What to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfriedman8, Dec 4, 2008.

1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

On my initial boot of my brand new 2.53GHz MBP and every wake from sleep the optical drive made this awful struggling to eject/ something was jammed noise. Once I put in my first DVD though, it has worked flawlessly and is really really quiet compared to my Alu MB that has a pretty noisy optical drive. I havent had any read issues with it either, but I am just curious what I can do if I end up having problems down the line. I purchased it off Ebay brand new and it is registered with Apple and I have checked it online (with serial #) and the Warranty is good until Nov 21 2009 (even though my first boot was Dec. 3 is that weird to anyone?) If I took it to an Apple store, would I be able to get a new one from them if it is defective, or would they have to send it in since I didnt buy at an Apple Store.

Thanks for the help. I realize there are other forums about this, but each situation is unique and the Apple site is a little grey (at least to me) on this area.

2. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

An Apple store will be able to replace the SuperDrive under warranty if the drive happens to fail before your warranty expires. It doesn't matter that you didn't purchase from an Apple retail store.

3. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, but that would mean they would have to send it in correct? I would not be able to walk in for a genius bar appointment and walk out with a new/ fixed laptop?

4. Crash1234 macrumors regular

If the sound you're hearing is just the regular noise that the drive would make if you were ejecting a disk I think it's pretty normal. My mbp makes the ejecting noise every time I wake it from sleep and I've noticed that my old whitebook, and alu iMac do the same thing. So, unless your noise is different from what I'm thinking of, there isn't anything wrong with your drive.

5. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Now it makes the normal noise, but before I put a DVD in it, it made this awful struggling noise like something was jammed or stuck in it. After I put my first DVD in, it works fine.... weird.

I doubt the computer was used before I got it, but the fact that the warranty started before I ever registered it/ booted up for the first time makes me have a little doubt.

6. yatman60 macrumors newbie

DVD Drive problem

I had the same issue and I also bought my laptop on eBay. I called Apple for support and they informed me that the problem is occassionally, on the new laptop, there may be some condensation or some dust on the drives when new and dropping a disc in the player and ejecting it for the first time will solve the problem. of course I used a blank disc JUST in case.

So you did the right thing to solve the problem.

Teesh