Weird notification about adding email to a MacBook?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sli4, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sli4 macrumors newbie

Hi
    Just had a very weird notification on my iphone tell me that my two main email addresses have been 'added to MacBook pro' with the only option to click ok.

Does anyone know what this means or how to un-add the email addresses to what ever computer they are talking about? The only MacBook I know of isn't labeled "MacBook pro" so this is freaking me out a bit.

Running ios7 and have never seen this message before.

Thanks

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Contact Apple. I've never seen that before either. The only time I've seen an email address being added is when you add an email to FaceTime.

Sounds like it could be fake..

3. sli4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking it was fake but have no idea how that would pop up. It was like something you'd see on a PC.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Weird notification about adding email to a MacBook?

I've had that message on my iPhone when setting up Macs. It's real, however you want to verify it's your computer obviously.

I'm at work right now so I can't dive into this but see if this link helps you.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4627

If not google it I'm sure you can find something.

5. sli4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm glad someone else knows what I'm talkin about. I don't even know what to google to find info on it.
    I checked your link and unregistered 4(?) computers from the account but wasn't able to actually view what computers they were.

But what I'm most confused about is why the notification said it added my gmail and aol email accounts to this mystery MacBook Pro. only one of those accounts is registered to my Apple ID though both are used on my iPhone.

6. cynics macrumors G3

TBH Its been so long I can't remember the whats and whys of that notification. However when I got it, it made sense. Turned on new mac, registered my Apple ID then on my phone got a notification of (my name) iMac added blah blah. And I remember getting the same notification for (my name) iMac out of the blue a bit later.

Do you have a Macbook Pro? Is your computer named Macbook Pro? System Preferences > Sharing, name should be there...

7. sli4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a MacBook Pro but it's not named "MacBook Pro" which was one of the first weird things to me.
    But also - the notification wasn't that the computer was added to my Apple ID it was that my two main email addresses were added to that mystery MacBook Pro - I have no idea how/in what way the email addresses were "added" either.

8. businezguy macrumors 6502

If you use your email address as your username for your iCloud account, that'd be the reason you got a reference about the email address.

9. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

It's to do with iMessage.

It means those email Addresses were added as an address you can 'be reached by' for iMessages.

On iphone Settings>Messages>send&receive

It'll say added to an iphone,iPad, MacBook Air, pro etc . The model, not the computer name

I get this when I put a different SIM card in my other iphone. Every idevice gets a notification that a new number has been added to it.

10. sli4 thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes a bit more sense but would this be the case even if the only iMessage option I had enabled is my phone number and not those email addresses?