Weird numbers in the storage tab in 'About This Mac'

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hesselmid, Dec 2, 2011.

1. hesselmid macrumors newbie

Hi there this is my first post here and a question from my side:

I bought an Air 128GB last week and I have used it for relatively small stuff and only downloaded some tv series and removed them correctly.

Now I was wondering in the 'About This Mac' section and it reports some really strange numbers. First the 18,45 EB of movies... I have no idea what this means and I have literally only one tv episode on my Mac of about 250 MB...

And secondly the 20,31 GB of backups worries me. I use Time Machine in combination with Time Capsule in my home and haven't yet left the home with the Air. So how comes it uses the internal hard drive at all?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71245139@N05/6442814693/in/photostream

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

There are a few bugs in how it is calculating things.

And, there is a backup partition on hour hard drive that will account for the 20gbs of backup. You can't remove it. Lion will put it back.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

when you use time machine on Lion, it creates local backups that get flushed when you connect to the time machine disk.

I don't believe there is a separate backup partition, but Lion does create a small recovery partition, but that is part of the Lion reinstall.

"Macintosh HD" is simply the default partition name for the boot disk.

There are threads to show how to keep time machine from doing local backups.
    iirc it's sudo tmutil disablelocal