weird optical drive noise after drop

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RJP31484, Jan 4, 2011.

1. RJP31484 macrumors regular

My macbook (2.0 13" unibody) got dropped from a height of only about 10 inches. it fell on side with the optical drive(closed) there was nothing in it, but when I opened it up and woke it it made a bunch of noise like it was trying to read a disk. It now does this every time I wake it up. When I put a disk in it winds up and appears to work normally, but if I move the laptop it makes a buzzing noise, like the dvd is spinning fast and touching somehting inside when I move it around. Did something come loose? any ideas as to wha tthe issue is, how to diagnose it, or fix it?

thanks in advance!

Also, I recently bought this macbook, and the screen says macbook pro at the bottom. However, I know they never made a 2.0 macbook pro. does it seem like maybe the screen just got replaced at some point? is it a direct replacement with the pro's? every thing seems to fit fine, but there is a small scratch/dent in one corner indicating a drop (which maybe cracked the screen?)

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If it works, it works. I'm surprised it works, but good luck. It may go out any day, though.

I have no idea what you mean by a 2.0 MacBook, though.

3. RJP31484 thread starter macrumors regular

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Doesn't every Macbook make optical drive noise when it wakes up from sleep?

5. RJP31484 thread starter macrumors regular

The noise I am most worried about it the buzzing I hear when a drive is spinning and I move the laptop around at all. Like the disc is hitting stuff it shouldnt while spinning.