Weird "Other..." icon under my user name on OSX snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by youngmacian, Aug 26, 2009.

1. youngmacian macrumors newbie

Hi people, so I got my macbook back from a friend who put osx snow leopard on it for me... anywho, when I went and turned it on, there is a weird username under mine that reads "Other..." any idea what this is? and how I can get rid of it? I thought there might be some kind of hidden user on my macbook.. but according to the accounts there's only mine... O_O

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

"Other" = log in as a user not on the list, such as a guest or the root account (is that turned on?), or go to the console (type >console for the user, and there isn't a password).

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Your friend probably enabled root access in order to have a password to install SL. Open directory utility, there should be an option to disable it.

6. youngmacian thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, I know it's not for the guest account because it's disabled...

I think you are right about the root password..

How would I go about hiding the "other" thing?

Also would you advise I change the root password? It seems a bit sketchy my friend would have access to that?

7. youngmacian thread starter macrumors newbie

also, if I look in my utilities folder there is no program called directory utility... unless it's called something different? :S

8. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Identical to the retail build. Quit spreading FUD.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ugh... that's NOT the point. The point is that he shouldn't have it.

10. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I think it got moved to CoreServices in Snow Leopard, I'm not sure why.

In any case, if you just want to lock out the root account, use this Terminal command:

Code:
    dsenableroot -d

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Yeah, but you guys are making it sound like he has the mysterious "Other" login box (which is because he has root enabled) because he has a dev build. Not true.

There are some people who pre-ordered the disc but want to install it early. Just like I did with Leopard. :rolleyes:

12. squirrelist macrumors regular

squirrelist

He might have for some reason enabled network login, which allows you to log in using an account from an Apple Server. Go to the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options. Check to see if "Network Account Server" is set.

13. youngmacian thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so I found directory utility, I'm not sure what to do.. because I can't see anything that says root access, although there is somethings in the "services" tab on directory utility that reads "active directory which is unchecked, BSD flat file and NIS which is checked, LDAPv3 which is checked and Local which is checked" I'm not quite sure what to do there... lol

As for the network login.. it's not enabled I don't think.. the button says "Join..." and asks for a server address...

I'm slightly concerned about the command "dsenableroot -d" ermm... so what happens to the username he created? is it gone? or just... disabled? What if I want my own root password? (I am probably just mumbling... and this makes no sense..so I'll stop now.. :p)

14. zerostar macrumors regular

LOL I find it funny people would come here for a question like this, I mean at least pretend you brought it and had a problem.... We should advise everyone to call Apple HAHA imagine all the calls before Friday

User: So my friend stole OS X 10.6 for me and i'm having this problem you see...
    Apple: umm.... what's your... address...
    Police: noob

15. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It will lock it. If you try to re-enable it, it will ask for your admin password, then unlock it. You can also use your admin password to change the root account password. Btw, it's not a normal human user. It's name is "root" and it has a user ID number of 0. It's basically the system's own account.

P.S. dsenableroot is just the command line version of what you are trying to do with Directory Utility. They do the exact same thing.

16. youngmacian thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks J the Ninja, the curse of the blue "other" has gone away! :D

Thanks everyone for the supportive comments...

As for the people who decided to go off on a tangent and give me a lecture on morality, you need to chill the frig out! you don't know me, or my situation... my "friend" works for apple! :p

Anywho I am off to bask in the light of OSX Snow Leopard :cool: