Weird "outline" on underside of MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Feb 25, 2009.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I just noticed this on my wife's white MacBook. It's hard to see, but there's an outline of a rectangular...something...on the underside of the MacBook. It's not a crack and you can't feel it if you run your finger over it, but it looks weird.

I noticed it when she was asking me if it seemed normal for it to get so hot. I thought it was normal, until I saw the outline where it felt hottest. I've never noticed it before, so I'm assuming it's new (though it's entirely possible I've just missed it up until now).

Should I take it down to the Apple Store or is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

3. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

also it looks like there maybe used to be a permanent marker square there that tried to get cleaned off.

4. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Was it a refurb? and out of curiosity is it a whitebook with the NVidia graphics or the older version?

Have you recorded the temps ? are the fans running ok ?

Can you feel the mark it raised up?.

sorry for all questions .

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Looks similar to the iPhone 3G cracking issue.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'd guess the computer was left on a magazine or something, and got hot, and it left a mark.

7. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Nope, it's definitely something that's showing through from inside the computer.

It's not a refurb. It was bought new in September with the back-to-school special (my wife is in grad school). We didn't mind getting the older model because we sold the free iPod touch that came with it to make it much less expensive.

The mark is not raised and I haven't checked the temps because iStat was making the trackpad crazy, but the fans are definitely working, seemingly in a normal way.

I've heard about that issue but never actual seen it. My wife has the white 3G but hasn't experienced the cracking.

Possible, but I don't think so. It really seems like it's showing through from inside, not a mark on the outside.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Looks to be about where the airport card is.

Here's a link to a few pics at iFixit.

Maybe the heat from the airport card is discoloring the bottom case?

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

10. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

i'd definitely take it in and get it looked at. the computer is only 6 months old, you shouldn't be having this kind of problem right now. let us know how it goes

11. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

all said and done then it must be cracking :( at least they'll replace the case as it's an acknowledged issue, I wonder if the ones with NVidia chip do this as well, I'd imagine so, shame on you Apple

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The case is white plastic, which as far as I'm aware, it not transparent. If the marks are not raised, or you can't feel them, then my vote is something superficial - maybe not a permanent marker but perhaps something similar.

13. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Have a look at the iPhone pic posted above.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I saw the pic, and that's a crack. What the OP is pointing out on the MB isn't a crack.

15. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I think its similar, the iPhone pic is higher re isn't it ? , maybe it's the start of a crack, or it could just be the newspaper/magazine suggestion but I'm leaning toward it being a crack or the start of. either way I'm sorry for the guy, .

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The lines on the MB look suspiciously (1) straight, and (2) perpendicular to each other. That's why I think the sticker/magazine/marker theories might hold some water.

OP: are these marks new, or have they always been there?

17. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

You've a fair point there, he did say that he'd only just noticed them.

edit* I wonder if there is a product which would be safe to use to try and clean it off, which could help to narrow down what it could be

18. Cali3350 macrumors regular

There is nothing on the bottom of the Macbook's motherboard that could cause those markings (no heatsinks or anything like that). It almost certainly got there from something physical that touched the outside.

19. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's why I thought it was heat transfer of something. Those lines are not only at a 90* angle to each other, but they're not straight with the case of the computer. The components in the computer aren't at an angle like that to leave a shape like the OP is seeing.

20. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Yes, the lines are square to each other but not to the case. I agree that in the picture it looks like it might be a mark on the outside but in person it really doesn't look that way.

21. Hakkera macrumors member

I'd say it looks like some discolouration to the plastic caused by heat. I don't think that it is a crack, it doesn't look like one, and it seems to be consistent with the markings of some kind of internal component. I've heard stories of people's Airports becoming pretty hot, maybe this would be it.

Looking at it though it seems to look like it has occurred over a relatively lengthy period of time, and maybe a regular occurrence.

I'd have to say that it may be worth taking it down to the apple shop, it can't exactly hurt can it?

22. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Just took it over to the Apple Store to have them take a look at it. They checked the logs and didn't find anything out of the ordinary (thankfully). The Genius gave the marking a good look and concluded that it was likely just a defect in the plastic and agreed that it was definitely showing through from under the lacquer and not a mark on the outside.

23. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

So did they not change the case for you ?, should do imo if it is a defect, ....surely:confused:

24. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I didn't bother asking because I don't care. It's not going to affect how the computer works and it took me seven months to even notice it, so it's really not an issue.

25. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Fair enough. but if you don't care why you asking on the forum ,.....just curiosity ?