Weird pause/stop problem with iPhone 3g wired into aftermarket car radio

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dirtygermankid, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dirtygermankid macrumors newbie

I got to first off by saying I couldn't go a day without this phone.. it's like my third hand. But.. I have a strange problem with the 3g phone.

I had my original iPhone wired into a RCA to 3.5mm jack which is wired to the aux input of my car's radio. Randomly (about every 10 seconds, to 10 minutes.. completely random) the iPod itself will pause itself, and then eventually if i don't press play again it will play again on it's own.

This is also a problem with my friends 3g iPhone when hooked into my radio.

I swapped the cable to a totally different type, same outcome.

Here's what I think it is. When the iPod headphone button is grounded out (pushed in), the phone will pause, another push and it plays. Two pushes of that button and it skips tracks. I'm thinking for whatever odd reason that function is causing my problem... maybe by the fact that there's natrually just a ton of vibration coming from a car, so the connection could be vibrated open just for a split second, making the iPod think to 'pause' ..make sense?

Anyone know of a way to turn this function off? I'd never use those crappy earphones anyways, and this would most likely solve my problem.

I never had this problem with the original iPhone, but this is driving me CRAZY.. can anyone else reproduce this problem?

2. rhcpsteve macrumors newbie

Yes, I am having the same issue with aftermarket headphones and 3.5mm jack into a car stereo.

I posted this thread here and theres another in the apple forum here

What model iphone is it? Mine is a 16gb white, and most who seem to be having this issue have the white also.