Weird Permissions Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by That-Is-Bull, Aug 4, 2009.

1. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Yesterday, I had a folder (called "Other") with read and write access for Joseph (Me), everyone, (unknown), and Joseph (Me, again), but for some reason I couldn't write to the folder - I only had read access even though three forms of me had read and write. I tried changing the permissions of the parent folder to read and write (which they already were for everyone, but I added my account too for the hell of it) and then applying it to the enclosed items, but that just added "wheel" to the Other folder's permissions and didn't fix the problem.

Repairing permissions did nothing, I ended up just setting my entire Macintosh HD to read and write for everyone and a few other people, then applying to enclosed items. That worked, but then for some reason it changed my external hard drive's permissions to "Custom" for Me, Me, unknown, and everyone. I can't access my external at all now, and nothing happens when I try to change its permissions. There was a little checkbox that said "Ignore permissions" or something, which I unchecked, but it didn't do anything and it's not there anymore.

I'd just format and reinstall Leopard, but I can't access my backups, and I can't find my Leopard DVD anyway. Anybody have any idea what the hell's going on?

Edit: Also, I haven't changed any permissions or installed or done anything that could've caused this. All I've done the past couple weeks is play Starcraft and use Photoshop.

Also, Tiger > Leopard.

Photoshop stopped working, so I tried restarting my computer. Now it just keeps restarting. It turns on, loads (grey Apple screen with the spinning gear) for about a minute and a half, then restarts again. I tried resetting the PRAM a few times but that didn't help.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Try a verify and repair on the hard drive with Disk Utility.

3. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I can't boot into OS X or find my Leopard DVD, so I can't do that. But I did remember that I have Boot Camp. Vista is working fine -_-

I'll try downloading Leopard and see if I can burn it onto a DVD, then archive and install or something.

Edit: Also, when my "Other" folder was messed up, I ran Onyx and it did the SMART check or watev. Pretty sure it verified the disk and said everything was super fantastic.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you are going to get a Leopard disk anyways, just to a verify and repair with it before reinstalling. Also, you can sometimes run verify and repair without having to boot from the DVD.

5. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Alright, I'll do that first. In the mean time, Leopard is 7.5GB, and I have a sh*tty 300Kb/s connection, so it's going to take at least a few days to download. I'm stuck with Shista until then. Any other ideas?

This sucks.

6. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

25 minutes elapsed, 0.1% done. Is there any way I can just download disk utility and burn it on a DVD, instead of downloading the whole operating system? That probably wouldn't be as illegal anyway.

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Have you tried running Disk Utility right in your current installation yet?

You cannot run Disk Utility off an external drive without a Mac OSX installation on it to boot into.

8. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

You mean my current OS X installation? I can't boot into it anymore, so no, I haven't.

And yeah, guess I wouldn't be able to boot off a DVD with only disk utility on it, so I'll have to download all of Leopard.

But I'm pretty sure when I ran Onyx yesterday it verified the disk and said it was okay. When it does that, does it check for hardware problems or software problems? Vista is running fine, so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I think the Mac OSX installation has been corrupted.

I highly advise against use of optimization tools like Onyx because they seem to do more harm than good.

10. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

Well that sucks. I tried booting into single user mode and typing "fsck -fy" to verify the disk, it said "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK." So I guess OS X is just corrupted or something. Which is weird, since I haven't done anything to cause it other than save a PSD. I don't see how the system could just randomly corrupt itself. Guess I'll wait 67345 years for this download to finish or see if my brother still has his DVD somewhere.

:(

11. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I did an archive & install from my brother's DVD, and I can boot into OS X again. But I'm still having the same permissions problem with my external.