Weird personal hotspot issue

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by zorinlynx, Apr 22, 2014.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This is a weird one!

I occasionally fire up personal hotspot on my phone or iPad to tether my laptop. This works great, but...

If I turn on hotspot on the iPhone, the iPad will join the hotspot.
    If I turn on hotspot on the iPad, the iPhone will join the hotspot.

Since it's a Wifi hotspot, it then proceeds to do things like upload all the photos I've taken to Photostream, wasting my data plan.

This is bizarre behavior because I never joined one device's hotspot from the other! This would be pointless as they both have cellular data.

Also, if I "Forget" the network, it eventually gets "remembered" again somehow.

Has anyone ever seen this bizarre behavior? I can work around by making sure Wifi is off on the "other" device, but I shouldn't have to! Why the heck are the devices joining each other's networks when I NEVER TOLD THEM TO?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps something related to Keychain remembering passwords and WiFi networks across devices if the same Apple ID is used?

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This

4. qtrim macrumors regular

qtrim

I have a similar issue. I want my Macbook to connect to the wifi at work, but not my iPhone or iPad. But as soon as I connect the Macbook, the two devices connect as well. My solution was to turn off Keychain on my Mac. It allowed me to keep the passwords it already had stored. Now whatever it connects to, the phone and pad dont know about. Sorry excuse for a fix, but it worked for me.

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

Be better if it just auto filled the password when you attempted to join rather than auto joined.