Weird phone call about lowering interest rate on CC - Scam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yojitani, Jun 8, 2007.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

So I just had this call that showed up 'unknown' on my phone from a 'company' saying that they could lower my interest rates on my CC to 6%. Sounds good, right? The woman asked what my rates were and then asked for an account number. It was at that point that alarm bells started going off, so I explained my apprehension about giving out that kind of info to a cold caller and asked if they could send me forms instead so that I could verify who I was giving my information to. She said they could do that, but then hung up!

I'm wondering if I either just passed up an excellent opportunity to lower my interest rates or if I just avoided a scam. Has anyone here had a call like this?

YT

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I think I've gotten three or four similar messages on my answering machine over the past week or so. I haven't listened to them long enough to figure out exactly what they're about, where they're from, or really anything at all about them.

3. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I received a similar call on my cell phone :mad: this week - I promptly hung up when they started talking about credit cards.

4. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Same here. I get messages a few times a week that say "time is running out to lower your interest rate." Not even sure who its from or what the message is regarding.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Are any of you registered on the federal do not call list? If so you shouldn't be getting calls like that in the first place. Assuming you are US based. I always get the name of the company and file a complaint.

https://www.donotcall.gov/Complain/ComplainCheck.aspx

6. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

In the UK you can sign up for some sort of register that makes it illegal for companies to make such calls.
    I signed up after having a similar call (and several texts) about mobile deals and haven't received one since.
    EDIT:
    FCC information
    UK Registration

7. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yes, I am, but the CC companies tend to get around the do not call list by calling you about 'other products' - usually some sort of fraud protection scheme. I've gotten used to ignoring these calls. I only answered today because it was about the right time for friends/family in other countries to call - their number often shows up as 'unknown.'

If/when I move back, I'll remember this. Thanks.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, I've been on the Do Not Call list for ages. It doesn't really help a whole lot...all the telemarketing is now disguised as "surveys," which are allowed.

And your credit card companies can call all they want because you have an existing business relationship with them. As I mentioned, I haven't listened to enough of the messages to figure out who it is that's calling me.