Weird Ping Noise from AIRPORT...then freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by syangwar, Feb 27, 2009.

1. syangwar macrumors newbie

I have no idea why this is happening...a few weeks back I was prompted for an update. I usually just accept the updates as they come and not really pay attention to what exactly is being updated. I start the update and go back to what I was doing. After a while I turn around and look at the computer and notice that the update stalled and the colored pinwheel was going. I noticed that it got through one of the four items for update and it stalled on the update for the AirPort. I could hear an odd pin and ping noise coming from what I had thought was the Hard Drive. I did a force restart and the computer would get the apple icon and then shut down on boot up. It wouldn't even boot under safe mode...

...fast forward a couple of weeks. After apple cust. service was no help...my friend figured out somehow on that update of the airport that is screwed up something on the firmware. Contrary to my thought that the pin and ping noise was my HD gone bad, it turns out that it somehow is caused by the airport. So we reinstalled OSX etc, completely wiped my HD clean.

However, that pin and ping noise still occurs occasionally. I noticed that it only occurs when A. I am transferring files from, for example, an external HD to my HD or when I try to open and install a DMG file. It will freeze the transfer or install mid-point or so, then you hear that darn noise, i then have to do a force shutdown.

Any thoughts? I recently did this update: Mac OS X 10.5.6 Combo Update, it was suggested by a MAC savvy friend...

2. be300test macrumors member

try resetting smc , most likely a bad hdd.