weird pop ups with Safari?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thecoffeebean, Feb 16, 2009.

1. thecoffeebean macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this question. I have the most recent version of Safari on Leopard and I recently noticed that every once in a while, out of the blue, a small window will pop up on the top left hand corner of my screen while Safari is open but it will pop up and disappear in literally less than half a second.

I don't know what it says or anything and I have the block pop-ups enabled in Safari. I haven't visited any sites that might put a virus on my computer (I hope) and aside from making me annoyed, the sudden pop up hasn't slowed down my macbook or done anything else.

Has anyone else had this experience? Do you know what the sudden pop up could be?

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

That's not even an option here. The only active virus for Mac OS X Leopard is that one from an iWork torrent (those pirates deserve it).

Some things to try:
    - System Preferences > Software Update > Check for Updates
    - Use AppZapper to completely remove Safari, then download and reinstall from the Apple site.

4. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

Make sure you install Firefox or something before doing this because if you zap it you will no nonger be able to get to the web.

5. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Oh yeah, that's right. :eek:

And you should be using Firefox in the first place. :p

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It might be specific to the site, e.g. my college tuition site has a small popup, about 1x1 inch, that immediately goes away.

7. mr.light macrumors 6502

I have seen similar Pop ups on a few sites. I don't think its a problem. I just ignore them.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Have you checked your history to see what the URL of the pop up is? I've seen it happen before on legitimate sites.

9. borcanm macrumors regular

Get Safari 4.0 preview from the developer website.

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Safari can't block all pop ups (no browser can.)

There is no virus in the iWork torrent, it's a trojan. Someone had to say it.

11. Shoeguy macrumors newbie

Annoying

Snops.com has Netflix ads that pop up under the working window, then they won't close if I click the red button. Grrrr..... Firefox is so damn slow I just avoid sites with demon adds.