Weird popping noise coming from new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mattnotis, Sep 2, 2010.

1. mattnotis macrumors regular

Just bought a 21.5'' yesterday and noticed that even when it's on mute, there's a faint popping noise coming from the speakers. It isn't constant or anything, but it happens randomly every few minutes or so. The harddrive and fans are super quiet though. It sounds kind of like someone lightly tapping on a microphone. Has anyone had this issue before?

Thanks!

2. JoeDangle11 macrumors newbie

I have a set Bose speakers that do it. I'm not sure what causes it but it truly annoying.

3. byron_hinson macrumors 6502

Have it happen on my MacBook pro. Very annoying

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

The popping noise and speakers usually occur when there is electrical interference... For example, I can purposely make my speakers produce loud static and sometimes "pop" when I turn on/off my desk lamp - by partially turning the switch so the electrical current has to arc.

Your popping could be something similar, someone turning on/off some lights in the house.

5. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

This happens to me while on a cell phone, that might be why it is happening.

6. Knives macrumors newbie

i've noticed this too...and it's happening more and more frequently...

I don't think it's a speaker problem...because mine will pop when i'm just surfing the web, not listening to anything...

it's the same sound that old tv's make from time to time...

makes my new computer feel very cheap...

7. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

my older iMac did this even with speakers connected to headset jack. Once I connected my receiver via Toslink the popping went away….