Weird: printer only prints when connected to KEYBOARD USB

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nohma, Sep 13, 2007.

1. nohma macrumors newbie

Hello all,

As stated in the thread title I'm having this weird issue with my printer that it only prints when it's connected to the computer via the keyboard USB ports. And thus refuses to print when connected to the computer USB ports.

Recently I purchased an Airport Extreme and the USB port on this works the same way (no printing when printer is directly connected to Airport Extreme USB port, but does print when keyboard is connected to Airport Extreme USB and printer connected to keyboard USB).

Printer: HP Laserjet 1022 (the infamous)
    Keyboard: One of the last previous generation keyboards (previous to new titanium one), gotten at end of August 2007 (swapped a malfunctioning one purchased in february 2007)
    Computer: 2,33 Ghz Intel C2D Macbook Pro

Any insight on these matters?

Thanks in advance,
    nohma

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Hi. Sorry for my late response. I hope you see this.

I got an HP printer with my MacBook a few weeks ago, and I had the same problem. I called HP and unfortunately there are simply some printers that don't work via Airport Express.

However, I can't understand some of the weirder parts of your problem.

3. nohma thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's just the thing.

I HAVE been able to print with my printer through Airport Extreme, but it will only work when I connect it to the Apple Keyboard usb ports and the keyboard to the Airport Extreme. NOT when I connect it directly to the Airport Extreme (even though Airport Extreme does recognize it, it just doesn't start printing - the print job just stays 'streaming'…).

I have a spare Apple keyboard from my old computer, but it's just too silly a sight connecting the printer to the keyboard and the keyboard to the Airport Extreme…

And it's just the same when connecting the printer to my computer usb ports (having to put the keyboard in between).

Thanks for your reply anyway,
    nohma